159 fuel gauge self calibrating? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory
159 fuel gauge self calibrating?

In April I had the in-tank fuel pump replaced after failed. The fault had existed for 9 months but was giving unusual symptoms.

On getting the pump replaced I went for a drive to confirm that all seemed okay. I saw the range to empty go from 50 km to --- and 15 km after that point I ran out of fuel. The car only took 67 litres to fill it, so from previous experience of putting 72 litres into the car (probably contributing to the earlier pump failure) I could see that I was lugging around 5 litres of unusable fuel now. That was something for the to-do list to take the car back to the mechanics.

Most recently when I filled my car up having had the limited cruising range warning come on ~ 15 km before the car took only 61 litres to fill. Which to me suggests the fuel gauge and trip computer have recalibrated themselves to the new effective capacity of 67 litres. This seems to be an interesting bit of functionality to program into a fuel gauge to say the least. Any thoughts?

Reversing the process when/if I get the fuel pick-up working properly might be an interesting task.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Time might heal it? But it maybe resiestance in a dash bulb or a connection somewhere!? You may find a common fault with the 159 senders! Ask a few dealers they should tell you if you find a friendly one that wont fleece ya!
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
What you are finding is not the gauge re-calibrating, but merely the on board computer. The system is designed to take into account the level going up and down a bit, but any change like a new pump will probably confuse the hell out of the system. Filling it up should re- start the calculations again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , calibrating , fuel , gauge