Inside an Inlet Manifold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 22-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Inside an Inlet Manifold

I managed to pick up a cheap inlet manifold, which I thought I'd give a go as it looked interesting and presented a possible opportunity to de-swirl my car, something I'd been considering.

Thought folks may be interested in what one looks like and how the mythical swirl flaps look and work on these later 1.9 plastic manifolds.

You can see the actuator motor for the flaps hanging off the bottom of the manifold quite clearly. This is held on with 3 bolts, two of which are clearly visible in the assembled shot on the back of the manifold. The third you will have to look a lot harder for. If you look at the shot from above the manifold, in the metal casting there is a bolt that runs through this between the ports for cylinders 3 and 4, just to the left of the v-cut in my work bench. That bolt can't come out because the bolt holding the plastic to the metal sections holds it in, so you have to undo this bolt last.

Hopefully you can see in the later pictures just how the swirl flaps operate through 90 degrees.

I can post further pictures if people like, but essentially, if you take the plastic cover off the bottom of the metal valve body there is a plastic cog which the actuator rotates, this plastic cog moves a plastic toothed arm (sprung loaded) which turns plastic individual cogs for the swirl flaps.

The question now is do I or don't I de-swirl this thing!

If you review the assembled picture there is a plastic connector that runs between the actuator motor and the port body. Simply removing this would disable the swirl flaps whilst leaving the motor connected. The next step would be to remove the plastic cover for the movement and rotate the vales in the body so the spring loaded arm holds the valves in the open position and you'd be set.

That is unless you decided to cut them out, which to be honest looks messy.

Last edited by Artermis; 08-06-15 at 04:45.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

inlet , inside , manifold