Rear end rattle fixed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Rear end rattle fixed

I have had my car for 3 years and it has always had a rattle at the back on the left side, especially over rough ground and speed humps.

Sometimes it is loud like a suspension knock, sometimes it is quieter like a loose cable or bit of loose trim.

I have had the car up on blocks a couple of times but never really set to to find the culpret. This weekend it all changed, I was determined to find it.

Back end chocked up on axle stands and both rear wheels off, I went round everything with a rubber hammer, crowbar and a 10 foot length of 3x2 to make everything move. After an hour I was no further in detecting the source of the noise, when I happened to swing on the left rear silencer and there it was!! The clonk was coming from the silencer hitting the inboard rear body mounted wire hanger for the exhaust. On closer inspection you could see a witness mark on the silencer and a rusty patch on the hanger. Yipee I thought, whip the exhaust off, batter it with a hammer and pop it back in....easy?

5 hours later after removing the rear lights and rear bumper, the whole thing was back together with modified silencers and no clonk. This is a massive job, not helped by fixings shearing off and the fact that it is impossible to remove the back boxes without removing the bumper for fear of doing real damage to the bumper or the aero wing under the tailpipes.

The real issue is that the back box and Y section pipe are held together with a big exhaust clamp that is welded to the back box (well mine is) and that there is an anti rotation pin that locates the pipes in the right position for the tail pipes to be square at the back of the car. Because of these, you cannot get purchase on the back box to pull it off without removing the bumper and before that the tail lights.

Somthing that I also discovered is that the rear aero wing should be removed from the car ONLY as part of the bumper. Once off it can be seperated if required. It is held in place with plastic pegs in 2 positions either side of the number plate and 4 screws, 2 each side, 2 of which you can only get to with the bumper off the car. If you try to get it off before removing the bumper, you will break me.

On replacing the bumper I changed all the fixings to stainless steel and thoroughly greased everything. Clonk gone, even over the fattest sleeping policeman.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
Nice one. Very satisfying too, I'll bet!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

end , fixed , rattle , rear