Another Alfa 159 stuttering thread - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-14 Thread Starter
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Another Alfa 159 stuttering thread

Ok, I've read a few threads (if 20+ still counts as a few) on similar issues but wondered if anyone could help diagnose my specific problem.

My 159 1.9 suffers a 'judder'/'stutter' whatever you want to call it at low revs in most gears (around 1.8k revs). This problem started about 2 days after I had the EGR replaced when it failed and I've had the problem for around a year now. It feels like the car is jumping and the turbo needle drops when it's happening.

I've disconnected the MAF sensor for a run and the problem goes away. I ordered a 2nd hand MAF about 6 months ago off ebay for 15, and it ran fine... for a couple of hours.

I guess my question is, can the MAF alone cause this or does disconnecting that affect other systems too? Do I need to get a brand new MAF or would an EGR removal/remap do the trick? (Since the problem began with the new EGR, I'm still linking it to that in my head).

If EGR removal and remap would or may help, any recommendations close to Milton Keynes? I don't want the DPF removed, still a bit concerned about how they'll handle this with the MOT in future and intend to keep my car for a long time to come, but I understand that the EGR and remap can be done without DPF removal anyway.

Also, just looking for a new MAF online, I notice my original (and thus the replacement I bought) are Bosch part 0281002618, whereas when I look for MAF's for the 159 without using the part code, I'm told it should be 0281002861... does this potentially mean I've had the wrong part in since I bought the car?

Last edited by mattrowe01; 08-05-14 at 12:28. Reason: New information
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Firstly blank the EGR and test, second, 2nd hand maps are often poor

[color=gray]Sent from Free App[/color]
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
when it comes to part numbers mate - lord only knows. The part number you have seems to relate to 1.9 diesel engines although potentially reference the 156 as opposed to the 159. Do you have any evidence from your service history or receipts of the MAF being replaced at any point. Maybe even a mention in the advert when you purchased her?

I've got a 1.9 JTDM (2008 58) if you get really stuck I'll check the part number on my car out of interest, although right now it is hammering it down with rain and I just got my suit on for work, so will have to do later.

In answer to your wider question regarding MAFs - essentially YES, a MAF could potentially cause such issues. Failed MAFs have a wide range of symptoms and problems they can cause. There is no way of knowing if it is in your case but if you can unplug it and find improvement then the odds are in favour of such a diagnosis.

A MAF is essentially a heated element which is exposed to the airflow the vehicle is drawing in. The amount of air the vehicle is consuming is measured according to the current required to keep the MAF element up to temperature. Theory being the more air being drawn in, the more air for any given amount of time flows over the element, the faster the air flow the quicker it would cool the element and so on.

There should also be an air temp sensor within the MAF somewhere as well which could also cause issues if this fails, but more often it'll be the flow sensor.

Given that these are just a heater element they can burn out over time, as any heater would, so worth replacing with new. the older a MAF gets the less accurate it gets.
AO Member
County: Essex
Try fully blanking the egr. If that works your issue is with that.
Try cleaning the map , more correctly tmap sensor temperature manifold air pressure its at top of engine in the manifold near the egr ,held in place by one bolt. Other posts on here search map. It gets very dirty due to its location.

could try just cleaning your old maf mass air flow sensor , only use the correct cleaning. Spray. Second hand one could be worse that yours cheap ones are crap only use Bosch
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-14 Thread Starter
County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 159

Thanks for feedback. I cleaned the MAP and it was pretty bad, but didn't help. Cleaned both MAF's too with the spray (thoroughly) but again no help.

I'll try blanking the EGR but if that doesn't help, I guess I'll have to look into a new MAF... if anyone can check their part number on a 1.9 (mines a 2007) that would be great and might give me some idea of which one to buy. I can't find any reference in the old receipts from before I bought the car to suggest it's been replaced, however the little plastic tabs on the connection weren't there, so I'm guessing someone has replaced it previously with the wrong part.
AO Member
Hi Matt - did you ever get to the bottom of this? I too have been investigating a suspect MAF. I think the EGR control is closely linked to the MAF signal, so maybe by changing the EGR suddenly made it more vulnerable to an inaccurate MAF signal.
My 2007 159 1.9JTDM 16v has a real lack of power below ~ 1750rpm & has also had Bosch Part # 0281002618 (Fiat/Alfa: 55350048) fitted from day one (i'm pretty sure). If you look on the Bosch online catalogue it describes this sensor as a HFM-6 sensor. But if you do a search for parts by vehicle, like you said it recommends 0281002861 which it describes as a HFM-7 sensor. Now I wouldn't put it past Alfa to ship a load of cars with the wrong part fitted, but my hunch is the HFM-7 is just a more recent, 'improved' sensor unit which replaces the HFM-6. That said, its tempting to fork out ~200 to find out!
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

In the last 2 minutes I've just bought an 0281002618 maf for my 56 reg as that's what was on it. 97.
If they've made an improved version then maybe it's worth a pop!

The obd gave NO inclination that the maf was reading wrong, it decided that the boost sensor had died and told me a load of lies, causing me to get an egr blank, egr blank with holes, new egr, new tmap, remove the injectors (new washers), renew the fuel filter, force a regen then repair the melted rubber pipe in the dpf [genius idea that one] and generally get the hump with the car and all things alfa.
Infact it lied so well, it believes it's own lies, as the maf is now disconnected but hasn't thrown up the eml at all in the last 20 miles. It's showing -20'c on the obd reader though!

Yay. ����

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , stuttering , thread