159 Sunroof Opening Randomly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-14 Thread Starter
County: Queensland

Member car:

159 Sunroof Opening Randomly

Has anyone else experienced this?

The sunroof on my 2011 model 159 opens randomly. I park the car, come back a few hours later and the car is locked but sunroof wide open. I very rarely open the sunroof so it is not just that I have forgotten to close. Happened maybe twice in the first and 2nd years of ownership but has happened twice last week, one of which was in the rain.

I have spoken to the dealership and there response was that it is because I have pressed the lock on the remote too many times and that somehow causes the sunroof to activate. Whilst I may sometimes hit lock a couple of times to be doubly sure I usually try and stop at one or two presses....

I have tried many times to press the remote repeatedly and replicate this but the sunroof never opens.

Any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
the remote locking systems on these cars do have what is known as global open and some, dependent upon year and market version, have global close too.

Global open = press and hold the unlock button and all the windows drop.

Global close = press and hold the lock button and all windows close.

Honestly, I don't know if the sunroof is included in these protocols simply as I don't have a sunroof and never tried it, although that is what the dealer is referring to.

It is hard to know exactly why it would be opening. The car could genuinely be performing a global open type function, in which case you need to determine if there is any environmental factors which could have made the car think it was receiving a signal to do so - so think about if the car was in the same place when it happened, if certain events occurred around the same time it happen. virtually impossible.

The only other explanation is some kind of wiring drama. The cars are CANBUS so the sunroof is likely part of a body computer or something which will be requesting it open, so if you've got some diag you could take a took at it. again virtually impossible to trace it down.

If it gets to be a real problem it might be worth popping the control panel and seeing if you can spot the wiring plug to it, or dropping the headlining so you can access and either give it a good clean up and see if that helps or disconnect it so it can't happen. It might be a long shot but there could be some moisture or corrosion got into the switches / electronics surrounding the roof and causing issues as circuit boards can be exposed rather than sealed units so look for white or brown marks / staining on the electronics.

I know your pain in having weird electrical issues though. Every now and again when I pull the switch to have my window up, it takes the window all the way down and stays there and you have to wait 30 seconds or so before you can try the switch again to make it come up, if it feels like it. Better still is any time the temperature in England gets about 20C the windscreen wipers become very upset and can start getting bonkers, even when completely turned off and bone dry.

Good luck!
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
how often do you use the car?

i had a abarth punto evo last year and left it with my friend when i was away. he drove it once a week and then towards the end of 4 months the drivers window started opening when the car was locked. when i got back i took it to the supermarket, came back and the window was open and the inside was full of snow.

i used the car regularly and the window stopped opening. i wondered if the battery was getting flat and this was a way of making sure you could get in the car if it failed.
AO Platinum Member
County: Riviera
The windows would also be open if it was the remote. Dealer talking ballcocks.

Sounds like a problem with the roof controller.

There is a reset procedure but i can't remember it.
I think you have to put the roof fully closed and then press the selector
for a while.

I had major problems with the 147's sunroof.
Was advised to never leave it half open or tilted. only fully open, fully tilted or fully closed.

Never had an issue with the 159 sunroof.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , opening , randomly , sunroof