Undiscovered features. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 02-05-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
Undiscovered features.

This isn't really a very Alfa thing, it concerns a 1.9 Saab 9-3 cabriolet, but that car shared most of its powertrain with the 159. An old friend of mine bought one of the last open 9-3s just after the time that Saab folded. He's done a few miles in the thing, as far as the south of France & back, he's in his mid 70s and is far from a motoring novice, in the past he's had several Astons and similar vehicles, so he knows a bit about cars. He confessed to me yesterday that he'd only just discovered that his car has a 6 speed gearbox, the same as a 159, for at least two years he's been cruising motorways and autoroutes in 5th, convinced that was as high as he could go. There are no motorways near where I live in Dorset, so when I had my 159, 6th didn't get a whole lot of use, but at least I knew it was there and how to find it, the '6' on the gear knob was a pretty strong clue.

My current Mercedes has the world's most fiendishly complicated built-in satnav, I doubt if I'll keep the car long enough to fully master it, and there are several other features that practically need a degree to cope with, but at least I know what's there. Will anyone else here admit to discovering things about their cars only several years after they bought them? 6th gear in a 1.9 159 isn't the most usable cog, but has anyone here driven their car for a year or two without ever managing to find it?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
It took me about a year to realise my Clio 172 had a factory fitted cd changer under the drivers seat!!
Ive only just discovered the centre arm rest in the 159 slides forward.

My wife (girlfried at the time) had a Suzuki Jimny and she didnt know it could be switched between 2WD and 4WD.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
My dad had an old Audi A6 2.4V6 company car a few years back. I used to drive it occasionally until one day I drove it and had to reverse it out of somewhere - the first time I'd ever had to do so. I'd been in the car many, many times with my dad and driven on a good number of occasions as he must have had it a good 18 months or so by this point; however for the life of me I could not find reverse.

I must have spent a good 10+ minutes thinking what the **** do I do now, I've broken dad's company car, somethings gone wrong, what on earth is this all about. I tried everything, I looked for the lifter, I thought the gear knob might be wrong so I tried to find reverse in places it clearly wasn't, turned it off and on again, the lot. It wasn't until I started to get properly annoyed and virtually sat on the dam shifter that I felt the gearknob drop.

I thought oh f-ing brilliant, now I've really done it, I've smashed the dam thing and dropped it out of the bottom of the car, although it finally went into reverse and I could leave. I was properly bricking myself thinking jeez if I've broken this thing I might as well leave now and never return, or at the very least pack a spade and prepare to be summarily executed.

it was a push down for reverse selector. my mother even knew that when I told her about it when I got home. So embarrassing!

Previous Alfas:
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso

Current Alfas:
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire
Originally Posted by davebem View Post
Really? I'm straight outside to try mine. Being a bit shorter and having the seat a bit more forward, it's always struck me as a design flaw that it's so far back. The 156 was perfect.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
A few in these threads!
The extra compartment in the arm rest got most of us!

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDM

I just discovered my 2.4 is the 210bhp version...the sticker on the door shut didn't say anything, 11/2007 and I had just assumed it was a 200. Found the engine codes on here and checked them out
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 17
County: West Yorkshire
If you hold the end of the indicator stalk at night on the 159 and Brera (i think its the indicator stalk) all the interior lights switch off except the speedo iirc
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4

My wife knows more than you lot
jesus H christ
Global Mod Team
County: Lancashire
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
Not much cop but I've only just noticed my spider seats have blue stitching...
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
Thumbs Up

Originally Posted by davebem View Post
Just tried mine, and yes it does!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

features , undiscovered