Finally replaced my Inlet Manifold - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

Finally replaced my Inlet Manifold

I finally got it done after almost a year of talking about it!

First of all: Oh my goodness what a job! Took me approx 13 - 14 hours to complete this job:

I unfortunately, didn't take any pictures guys as I bust my usual phone and the camera on this one is s*** at best!

So where did I start?

Well i opened the bonnet, that was my first mistake, but I've started, so I'll finish!

First things first, I disconnected and removed the battery, then un bolted the coolant reservoir to gain better access to the back of the engine. I then removed the EGR and throttle body and it was at this point I realised this was a bigger job than I thought.

There was a LOT of dis-assembly on this, more than I thought.

So next step was to loosen the Loom, I also removed the breather(?) pipe that runs over the top of the engine. I then disconnected the heater plugs and the fuel pipes. Disconnected the fuel filter and placed it well out of the way, managed to take the bracket into 2 pieces (so no grinding required)

The next stage was a real pain though: Disconnected the fuel pump, which of course meant I had to access to the timing belt, I use some cable ties to keep the belt in place so timing wasn't ruined and at this point I though 'Sweet, I can remove the IM now' that's a big negative there sir! I un-bolted the IM and went to remove it, the EGR end could get removed, no problem, the end at the timing belt, was a big no no! Turns out there's a lip here that the IM catches on and refuses to go past.

I attempted to grind this down but I couldn't get down far enough, so plan B took action!

Jacked the car up and I removed the undertray, which again, wasn't straight forawrd: I had to grind some of it off as the bolts where just spinning, one of the mounts at the bumper had rusted through completely! Noticed a bit of rust on the subframe, but it actually isn't too bad (that can wait for a bit.. I need to recover! )

I then removed lots of things that I don't know the name of, in order to gain access to the timing belt cover to loosen it. This took a while...

So eventually I got this loosened and the old Inlet came out (YAY!) with swirl flap actuator attached. I would like to add, that this happened at about half 5, after starting at half 9 in the morning. New (de-swirled) manifold went in and everything was put back on, including the actuator, which is cable tied around the fuel filter somewhere as I though removing it completely would probably throw up an EML, so it's connected to the loom, but nothing else, managed to get a couple of extra bolts out of the exercise too!

I then checked the timing, everything was ok, turned the car off and on again to get fuel (by putting the key in and pressing the start/stop button a few times with my feet nowhere near the pedals) etc through and turned it over....

A bit stuttery at first, turned the car off, seen smoke from rear of engine, realised I hadn't tightened the EGR properly (Whoops!), so fixed that and started the car again, let it warm up some and then turned off, checked underneath and noticed a tiny bit of oil, so car went up on the jack again. Found where the leak was coming from (another untightened bolt) and sorted it, put the car back down again and let it sit for a bit more and all seemed fine!

Then I took it for a drive...... I can honestly say the car has never felt as quick since i purchased it!

Started it the next morning, first time, purring like a kitten, smiles all round! Then the next test, leave it sitting in a carpark for 3 days as me and the wife went on our anniversary to London (which was epic), came back, sat in the car, let the heaters do there job, wait for press clutch message, push start button: no smoke, no stutter, car starts before I have my finger fully off the start/stop button. Which it has NEVER done from cold!

Was it a dog of a job: Yes
Was it worth it? Most definitely!

A big thanks to Adz1282 for the Inlet Manifold at a great price!

Next stage is to open up the old IM and see how bad it was, I had a look down it and could see some lumps that where easily 5 - 8 mm deep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mags159ti View Post
I finally got it done after almost a year of talking about it!

First of all: Oh my goodness what a job! Took me approx 13 - 14 hours to complete this job:

I unfortunately, didn't take any pictures guys as I bust my usual phone and the camera on this one is s*** at best!

So where did I start?

Well i opened the bonnet, that was my first mistake, but I've started, so I'll finish!

First things first, I disconnected and removed the battery, then un bolted the coolant reservoir to gain better access to the back of the engine. I then removed the EGR and throttle body and it was at this point I realised this was a bigger job than I thought.

There was a LOT of dis-assembly on this, more than I thought.

So next step was to loosen the Loom, I also removed the breather(?) pipe that runs over the top of the engine. I then disconnected the heater plugs and the fuel pipes. Disconnected the fuel filter and placed it well out of the way, managed to take the bracket into 2 pieces (so no grinding required)

The next stage was a real pain though: Disconnected the fuel pump, which of course meant I had to access to the timing belt, I use some cable ties to keep the belt in place so timing wasn't ruined and at this point I though 'Sweet, I can remove the IM now' that's a big negative there sir! I un-bolted the IM and went to remove it, the EGR end could get removed, no problem, the end at the timing belt, was a big no no! Turns out there's a lip here that the IM catches on and refuses to go past.

I attempted to grind this down but I couldn't get down far enough, so plan B took action!

Jacked the car up and I removed the undertray, which again, wasn't straight forawrd: I had to grind some of it off as the bolts where just spinning, one of the mounts at the bumper had rusted through completely! Noticed a bit of rust on the subframe, but it actually isn't too bad (that can wait for a bit.. I need to recover! )

I then removed lots of things that I don't know the name of, in order to gain access to the timing belt cover to loosen it. This took a while...

So eventually I got this loosened and the old Inlet came out (YAY!) with swirl flap actuator attached. I would like to add, that this happened at about half 5, after starting at half 9 in the morning. New (de-swirled) manifold went in and everything was put back on, including the actuator, which is cable tied around the fuel filter somewhere as I though removing it completely would probably throw up an EML, so it's connected to the loom, but nothing else, managed to get a couple of extra bolts out of the exercise too!

I then checked the timing, everything was ok, turned the car off and on again to get fuel (by putting the key in and pressing the start/stop button a few times with my feet nowhere near the pedals) etc through and turned it over....

A bit stuttery at first, turned the car off, seen smoke from rear of engine, realised I hadn't tightened the EGR properly (Whoops!), so fixed that and started the car again, let it warm up some and then turned off, checked underneath and noticed a tiny bit of oil, so car went up on the jack again. Found where the leak was coming from (another untightened bolt) and sorted it, put the car back down again and let it sit for a bit more and all seemed fine!

Then I took it for a drive...... I can honestly say the car has never felt as quick since i purchased it!

Started it the next morning, first time, purring like a kitten, smiles all round! Then the next test, leave it sitting in a carpark for 3 days as me and the wife went on our anniversary to London (which was epic), came back, sat in the car, let the heaters do there job, wait for press clutch message, push start button: no smoke, no stutter, car starts before I have my finger fully off the start/stop button. Which it has NEVER done from cold!

Was it a dog of a job: Yes
Was it worth it? Most definitely!

A big thanks to Adz1282 for the Inlet Manifold at a great price!

Next stage is to open up the old IM and see how bad it was, I had a look down it and could see some lumps that where easily 5 - 8 mm deep!
I've just started this job today. It'll have to carry over til tomorrow.. How did you remove the bracket that holds the oil breather I think it is at the back of the manifold to get to the last manifold bolt I've been stuck on this for several hours before I gave up.
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Hmmm, thanks for posting this, I have a manifold for my 2,4 from a 2004, flaps were never fitted to this model. I have wondered many times how difficult a job it might be. My belts are coming up to that time so I will do the whole lot at the same time. I shall now allow a week to do the job!

AO Member

County: Croston Lancs
Great write up

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
finally , inlet , manifold , replaced

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page