3 Months In - TI Ownership - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

147 8v JTDM

3 Months In - TI Ownership

I have had my 159 TI SW for 3 months, previous to this i had a GTV Twin Spark and still have a 156 2.4 JTD.

I guess its a natural progression to go from a 156 to a 159 and here are my thoughts if anyone is interested lol.

The 2.4 10V in the 156 is a peach of an engine, fast and a great sound for a diesel. Had her 4 years and no issues in that department. I was not amazed by the 1.9 in the TI to start but i must say its much better now i have put some fuel cleaner and Performance Fuel in it and done a few thousand miles.

It does have a nice amount of power and it does shift in 3rd and 4th just a bit slow off the mark due to its weight i guess

The build quality and comfort in the 159 is a different league and its a very nice place to be. Handling wise i would say there isn't much in it. The 156 is slightly more direct in steering but that's about it.

I did a 500 mile trip to Liverpool in the 159 a few weeks ago and averaged 46mpg, around town and to work and back it does 37 ish.

TI Seats are lovely but have a weird fault with little threads coming out in places. I had a puncture a few weeks ago on business, 210 later new tyre fitted

Gearbox on the 159 is notchy, no weird noises (thank god) but notchy compared to the 156. The 156 box is smooth and feels more solid in general but its a bit like stirring porridge lol

159 Brakes are decent, but never had any issues with the 156 brakes there also good.

Looks wise the 159 in my opinion is the best looking estate on the road so im more than happy with that!

With a remap i think the 159 will be pretty much perfect for what i need.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Leicestershire
156 to 159 owners comparison

Hi Gwedo,
Nice owners comparison/review
I too have moved from a 156 to a 159, (but not directly), though my comparison is from a 2.0ltr Twin Spark to a 2.2jts, petrol to petrol as apposed to your diesel to diesel.
I would have to agree with you on several points.
The handling on a 156 I think is more delicate than the solid feeling 159, but a 156 tends to crash into transverse ridges, and the steering is lighter and more communicative than the much heavier 159.
Much is said about the legendary Alfa V6, and quite rightly too, but lets not forget the four pot Twin Spark engine, as it's a real corker, powerful and very tuneful, very reliable when correctly serviced (as usual)
The interior on both cars are lovely places to be with the 159 edging in the style stakes, however the 159 is leagues ahead in terms of quality, and is as good as any BMW that I've been in.
Looks wise I think that the 156 is a future classic and a real milestone car for Alfa, but I don't think many could deny that the 159 is the best looking modern saloon made to date, which transfers equally to the Sportwaggon.

Running report for: Type 937 Gt 3.2 V6

My Italian car history so far:
MK1 Fiat Uno 60 S, Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6, Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 ts, Fiat Multipla ELX 1.9jtd, Alfa Romeo Gt Lusso jtd, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 Super, Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 Ti, Alfa Romeo Gt 3.2 V6
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Originally Posted by Gwedo View Post
Gearbox on the 159 is notchy, no weird noises (thank god) but notchy compared to the 156. The 156 box is smooth and feels more solid in general but its a bit like stirring porridge lol

The gearboxes tend to be notchy if they have the wrong spec oil in them or if its a bit old, a change to gl4 Redline MT90 works wonders

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

months , ownership