I'm having a bit of a tough time with my relationship with the 159 at the moment. I've had her about 14 months now, and the first 12 were almost completely fuss free (just long enough for the warranty to run out! typical..) I reported some clutch slip a couple of months ago, which I'm happy to report has completely gone, even trying to get it to happen with some beans, its fine. Self-healing italian - love it (my ex - a Ducati 748 should take note).
I had my MOT in March and my garage pointed out a worrying grindy/knock coming from the cam belt area. I trust them, so booked it in straight away. They discovered a failed cam belt tensioner and a very loose cam belt. £3-400 later and the belt, pump etc were all replaced.
A few weeks later, I noticed a new rattling sound when idling and a particularly bad noise when the revs are coming down (ie dip the clutch and take your foot off the go pedal at slow speeds) - kind of like the engine is dragging some tin cans along with it. And then to add insult to injury, on Tuesday the turbo started whisting like a pimp kettle.
So back to my garage it went yesterday. I heard from them today, and the clattery noise is apparently some hydraulic something or others have siezed - £500 to fix that, and they say the turbo needs replacing - £1000! I'd been dreading the call all morning and felt a bit cold when i picked the phone up (hence the 'hydraulic something or other'), but the turbo whistle i had been googling all last night, reading lots of threads on here.
I asked whether it could be a loose hose or faulty seal and was told that they have changed a few of them in the past and are confident that a new one is required. I've conceded to have the hydraulic problem sorted and hold off on the turbo for now. There's no loss of power, and the turbo still kicks in as usual - i had it remapped 6 months ago so its more keen than standard.
So my question - should I be getting the turbo replaced as soon as possible? Will there be any warning before anything catastrophic happens? I'm mindful that if id been a bit more credit card willing, i would have changed my clutch a few months back and it wasnt necessary. But I dont want to play roulette with the car....
Also, can anyone recommend a good alternative to the OEM part - or somewhere that does guaranteed recon'd ones?
Relationship on the rocks, but she's worth fighting (and paying) for