2.4 squealing noise under partial throttle. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 21-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

2.4 squealing noise under partial throttle.

Occasionally getting a squealing noise under partial throttle on the drivers side and I am struggling to diagnose it. As soon as I come off the throttle it disappears. At first I thought aux belts but the problem doesn't occur while statically revving the engine. At WOT I also can't hear the noise, which I would have thought ruled out a boost leak. Anyone else had this issue? I guess the safest option is to have all belts and water pump done earlier (due in 20k miles) and try to see if I can find a boost leak? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
What is WOT. That's hard to find as it only happens underload . if you dip the clutch does it disappear.
I.d jack up the car and have a good look make sure nothing is rubbing plastic wheel arches etc.
I.d remove one of the aux belts and try as could be an idler or tension pulley, be careful the power steering might not work. Wheel bearing does it only do it when cornering left or right hand bend ?
If you can,t find anything could be water pump cambelt but you can,t see that without taking the cambelt cover off. How many years and miles ago were they done ?
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire
my water pump did the occasional squeal, but didnt always happen. now it changed and the squeal has gone.
AO Silver Member
County: North Yorkshire
See if all your bolts are in the exhaust manifold. Mine occasionally lets out a little squeal as I need to refit a bolt and get a slight 'reed effect' from the gasket.
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
have a similar thing on my 16v jtdm, had hoped a cambelt, pump, etc would cure it and also i had a de swirl flapped manifold fitted at same time.
after a couple of drives its still there?
i only really get it on the same stretch of road when i first accelerate from coldish(which is why i hoped the new inlet manifold would stop it, incase it was leaking with swirl flaps in full open position etc ) as once its sqeeled(also i also thought boost leak sound) it then is usually not heard again in that journey(and i know it holds boost well and checked for leaks).
it always sounds near to the back of the steering wheel/dashboard corner , which is why ive not looked at turbo or exhaust manifold.
i suppose it could be a exhaust/turbo leak sealing once warm, it just doesnt sound in that area.
i might have a look at my map sensor o'ring as thats been in/out a few times it would fit that area sound wise.

County: Cornwall

Member car:

I have this too in my 159 1.9 jtdm. I thought it may be drive shaft related as i can hear a slight drone at all times a bit like a wheel bearing, even when coasting. I think the two are related.

Its like, for a second or two, a sort of whoop, whoop, whoop at a certain speed and throttle position. Which i cant actually make happen, it just does.
AO Silver Member
County: St. Petersburg
I am not aware that is squealing exactly.
Nasty noice may comes from AirCo.
Some stuff inside is pinching.
Just switch it off - would be clear.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

noise , partial , squealing , throttle