Wiper Linkage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 04-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

Mazda 6

Wiper Linkage

Hi all,

Proud owner of a Brera S but recently suffered a large chip on my windscreen courtesy of a lorry which meant I had to get my windscreen replaced.

Nice guy from Autoglass broke the bad news that it looked like my drivers side wiper mechanism/linkage had broken causing some minor marks on the bonnet and wiper arm He demonstrated when the plastic covering was off and certainly seemed like a lot of play in the arm and I have to admit I recently noticed a triangle of un-wiped water right in my line of sight on rainy days!

Having looked through the forum it appears the options are to either:
Fork out 200 for new linkage.
Call Autolusso to see if they can repair for 80.
Fit a larger washer and copper slip.

Can anyone advise which option is best? I am a little unsure of how broken the part is so do all the above apply or would options 2 and 3 only work on a bent part vs a snapped part?

Also, someone mentioned buying a metal part rather than the bog standard plastic one has anyone links to someone that sells these parts?

Sorry for the long list but not really very mechanically minded so want to make sure I go down the right road to get it repaired properly first time so no more damage occurs!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Do a search on here. Their is a post telling how to repair it. With a large penny washer.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 21-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

Mazda 6

Thanks phwspider,

Tried the repair today but could not locate a "large" penny washer so used three M6 penny washers to pad out a bit.

Unfortunately this did not help and the arm is still leaving an un-wiped triangle on the drivers side and marking the bonnet!!!

When taking the assembly apart I did notice that the plastic part that slips into the metal linkage is completely broken.

Is the fix still worth an attempt with the larger washer or is this new linkage time?
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 LE

I found mine to be the same. The plastic had completely snapped, I tried to stick it together but didn't work. I bought a refurb from autolusso, they reinforce the plastic by screwing copper around it. Plus they give you 30 for your old linkage
AO Member
County: Leicestershire
I fixed mine at the weekend. I read about the washer fix, however I didnt use this method. I noticed that there is nothing really wrong with the linkage itself, other than the rubber mounts go a bit soft. The positioning of the linkage needs moving down a bit at the far o/s end. So I bent the wiper linkage mount in the bay in the o/s corner in a little with a small crowbar and it now wipes perfectly and there is approx 5mm gap between the bonnet when its at its highest point. Ill get some pics to show the mount.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
I used the copper washer, lasted about 3 months (7k miles). Then had the Autolusso fix, still going after year / 1/2.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

linkage , wiper