I need advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
I need advice

Ive just obtained a nice late 07 159 sportwagon but with issues.One being egr valve no big deal but another being p2015 which i think relates to swirl flaps.It smokes upon instant startup and sometimes smokes from within the engine bay but drives "ok" with some but hardly excessive smoke from the rear.Smoke in the engine bay screams to me blocked exhaust but what does p2015 mean or how do the swirl flaps affect running.Cheers
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

Congrats on your purchase!

Can I ask the engine size of your motor?

Swirl flaps can be removed and don't really affect how the car drives, a little slower in low revs and better response in high revs I think, but it's negligible.

It's something I have been meaning to do for ages but just can't get the time to do it! might have to arrange for it at some point in the near future!
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
Smoke from within the engine bay is never a good thing and should be the first thing you need to sort out but should be relatively easy to find, is it exhaust smoke.? if so then you might have a broken egr pipe or swirl valves so worn they are leaking, if it is a 1.9 then you probably have the later plastic manifold
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
yeh if you give us a hint at where it is coming from that might help. It could be as straight forward as a blocked breather if you wanted to go round and check them.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: East Sussex
The car is a 1.9 and the inlet manifold is plastic.The smoke in the engine bay is only upon start up near the turbo area. I spoke with Dan at Autolusso today who suggested the swirl flaps can drop off so its something to be addressed sooner rather than later.As with all things im wondering if a combination of faults ie flow shutter valve feedback and a faulty egr could cause half my probs.But i may be barking up the wrong tree .
Im very happy cos whilst its done more miles than the space shuttle it drives well the gearbox is fine as is the bodywork and the subframes are a little rusty but not dreadfull like some and i got it for a song.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 159 sportwagon.JPG (63.5 KB, 9 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider