Fog Light CANBUS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Queensland

Member car:

Fog Light CANBUS

Hi guys,

is there any CANBUS warning lights for the fog lights? I've never seen it light up before or been discussed,.

I want to replace the Fog's with H1 led's,, I could wire a resistor on, but it will get way too hot,

and if it does throw an error would it be something i could clear with MES without it coming back?

many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Rutland

Member car:

Alfa159 2.4

According to the threads I've read on AO, they are not part of the canbus system.
However there doesn't seem to be much success with using LEDs for this application compared to HIDs or uprated halogen lamps from a practical point of view
I've just put HIDs in the fogs of my 156. No bulb out warning. I doubt they'd have been added to 159s.

LED bulbs don't have close to the same power output so they are no good for actual light output onto the road. For that HIDs are better.
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
HIDs are a good option for the fogs but on the 159 it is difficult to place the ballasts without taking the bumper off to mount them Its doable but remember from a placement perspective there is a lot of water and damp down there so you want them as high as possible!

LEDs are just not powerful enough yet so if all you want to do is make them match your HIDs you are fine with LEDs but if you actually want to use them to cut through fog, you need HID or Powerful halogens.

There is also the debate over colour. White (5K or 6K) to match the HIDs is great from a styling perspective but white light bounces back off fog quite badly. I personally have gone full euro style yellow which cuts through fog nicely (point is up for debate if you Google about it!). Currently I use yellow Laminex Film on the fogs themselves and 100w Halogen H1 Yellow bulbs.

I may yet install 3K HID's next time I have to take the bumper off.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______
Project Halo Wiki____
Project Halo Page____

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

canbus , fog , light