159 Coolant check - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 27-11-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

159 Coolant check

Whilst checking my 159's oil levels, I noticed that the coolant level was below the "MIN" level. After a trek to an Alfa Dealer to get some Paraflu UP, I opened the cap to top it up and noticed that once the cap was off, the coolant level went up to the "MAX" mark once the pressure had been released. My question therefore is, do you check the level with the cap on or off? Needless to say the owners manual gives no indication. In fact the owners manual is a joke, the translation from Italian wasn't done by anyone with the faintest grasp of English!
Sponsored Links
Re: 159 Coolant check

Same on the Brera.

I think you have to check it cold.

AO Platinum Member

Check the level with the engine cold.
Remove the cap to check too bacause you may find the level drop when removed.
AO Gold Member

The manual is hilarious.

When cold, with the cap off, it should be at minimum on level ground, dont top it up to maximum when cold.

My 159 seems to like blowing power steering fluid out the reservoir (which isnt the same as the one fitted to all other alfa's since about 1980) the gaskets rubbish.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

Thanks cj romeo, just checked my Brera this morning (cold) and was concerned that the coolant level was at min. Of course I then read the bit in the manual about only using Paraflu Up and thought - oh oh! Where in the heck do find that on a Sunday? Not Halfrauds, that's for sure.

EDIT: For future ref, does anyone know where I can this from, other than back at the dealer?

Last edited by alfarmus; 04-02-07 at 13:37.
AO Member
County: -

I drive a 159 too, no issues so far with the coolant. But the oil level display on the computer gives a different reading everyday, varying from 2 notches to full. The number plate light is blown, minor issue (the computer actually checks, wonderful!). It takes 2 cranks to start every morning, no big deal. The VDC light comes on and stays on once in a while, but clears itself after a short drive.

The manual reads like someone ran the Google translator on the Italian originals.
AO Gold Member

Look for any good brand antifreeze stating Monoethylene glycol base, formulated with organic inhibitors suitable for alloy engines

AO Member

Hey go to the Vauxhall dealer and use their anti-freeze - cheaper and exactly the same as the Alfa stuff, just make sure it is the same colour as the Alfa anti-freeeze. Becasue the two colours are not mixable.
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot

Prestone do ready mixed anti - freeae compatible with all types & makes (and colours)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , check , coolant