New stereo - flashing odometer - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 21-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

1750 SW

New stereo - flashing odometer

Hi all

I've replaced the standard stereo with a funky new Kenwood thing, with sat nav and DAB and touchscreen and all that sexy stuff.

The only trouble is I seem to have got a free flashing odometer thrown into the mix. A quick search on the forum suggests the flashing is a sign of an electrical fault. What I couldn't find is a suggestion for how to fix it. The stereo was fitted by a reputable place near me, so I'm guessing the simple thing would be to take it back to them - but any guidance I can give them would be very helpful as I don't want to be met by a shrug of the shoulders and a response of "well that's Alfa electrics for you, mate"!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Riviera
It's a CANbus error.

System checks for the original HU on the car's CANbus, obviously doesn't find, so flags the error by flashing the odo.

I think a "Proxy Alignment" could fix the issue, but not sure.
Try a thread search for that term.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Check the install guide in the sticky on how to guides at the top of the page.

The Canbus is looking for the blue and me module (which I assume you removed). You need to plug this back in, either finding a suitable space behind the head unit (and there is not a lot of space there), or there is a specific cable (30? unfortunately) detailed in the guide that acts as an extension lead so you can put it in the passenger footwell.
You may also have appalling radio reception, details on solving that also in the guide!
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
This is a standard issue fixed by running a CAN bus proxy alignment via Multi-ECU scan. As has been said, the body computer is checking for the presence of the B&M module & H/U and cant find them so is letting you know something is wrong. A proxy alignment tells all the computers to relearn each other because something has either been added or removed.

Quick fix.
County: Denbighshire

Member car:

2.4 spider jtdm

I had a flashing odometer on my spider when I bought it, proxy alignment sorted it out
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6/4C

I have precisely the same problem but, happily, from my seated position the odometer is hidden from view. This is one of the Alfa ergonomic benefits. More interestingly however was another problem I had getting the satnav to work properly on my unit. It is a Kenwood DNX4210DAB and from the moment of installation there was a disfunction between gps and screen display. Kenwood's answer was aerial malfunction and because the microphone on the phone didn't work this seemed to be a reasonable direction in which to look. However, that turned out to be nonsense.
Kenwood's units come with Garmin satnav and what they had done in my case was send out a set with a software/firmware conflict with the mapping. The unit would work happily for ten minutes and then freeze leaving the car icon stationary somewhere back down the road. I was about to give the thing a good kicking when some thought processes kicked in and (i) I relocated the aerial, which made no difference at all - in fact the problem seemed more pronounced, and (ii) I discovered the Garmin-Kenwood website was "suddenly" offering a map update for the set. This update had not been available in June or July but appeared this August weekend as if by magic. So I spent some money backing a hunch and, via USB stick, downloaded and uploaded a big map update. These things work by overwriting within the navigation package and my guess was that if GPS references were thrown at a totally new and up to date map package it might just work. Well it did and the set is transformed. So lessons learnt:

1. Do not trust "out of the box" nice looking kit. It may have been on shelf for months with one set of firmware or software updates might be incompatible with something else.
2. Do not trust manufacturers agents "fob off" suggestions. They will always suggest the installation was incorrect!
3. When you have a new unit fitted make sure the installer properly updates the software, firmware, maps and all, at no cost if you can get away with it.
4. Sit low in the seat so that the flashing odometer (which is a Canbus issue) doesn't mess up your enjoyment.
5. Get some John Petrucci (I suggest Lost Without You) to play on your iPod as this perfectly matches the mood you can get into when things go depressingly pear shaped.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

flashing , odometer , stereo