Intake manifold removal - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #26 of 27 Old 20-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4

Spider, its the fuel pump bracket which is the issue - the fuel pump belt cog is fixed to the bracket by bolts to preserve engine timing while the pump itself is removed, so your choices are either to remove a stud and grind away an ear of the bracket to get the intake manifold off, or loosen the fuel pump bracket and possibly affect the timing. If you choose the latter it's best to just do the belts during the job, which wasn't needed on my car for another 20k. If you're particularly good at removing studs you could try removing the manifold studs from the block, then it would come straight off.

Over the next few days I will try to organise the photos into better order for a 'how to'. I have a lot more photos and frankly wish the forum allowed [IMG] embedding as it would be a a lot easier to directly show photos in threads. I know how to use the uploader but its a pain.

For anyone else contemplating this job in the meantime remember to check your manifold part number before starting the job - when the car was apart, i discovered i had the wrong swirl flap plugs. I was lucky I had a lathe to make some different blanking plugs up. The smallest plug by DNA parts also appears to be inserted from the inside the manifold which is worrying - if the sealant doesn't hold it, there is nothing stopping it falling into the engine, so I needed to design an externally inserted plug.

Luckily the design of the pierburg manifold has a number of slots over the EGR inlet which caught a lot of muck and held it there, but the inlet manifold still had approx. 3mm wall of sludge when I went to clean it. Bathing it in engine cleaning agent and then pressure washing it did the job.

Took the car on a longer run yesterday to check mpg improvement. Cleaning the manifold, removing the swirl valves, blanking the EGR, and gutting the DPF has brought my indicated motorway mpg up from 38ish to 47, and this was cruising at 80 whenever possible. This was only on the first run though, so will report back when I have something more concrete. Considering the changes I've made I'd like to get the map checked by ahm, but by first impressions I'm quite pleased, and don't regret buying the 2.4 at all now.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1398
a job i'd love to do due to cost... been quoted over 1000 to swap manifolds but not sure my technical skills stretch to manifold removal. It took 8 hours to remove and fit a turbo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

intake , manifold , removal