159 M32 gearbox - end case removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
Status: Back to two Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Unkle Munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,618
Help 159 M32 gearbox - end case removal

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the end case of the M32 gearbox can be removed with the gearbox in situ? The offending bearing that causes all the problems should be staring you in the face then!

Knowing Alfa, it's probably not possible and complete nightmare of a job - especially with sub-frame removal! Unless this isn't as bad as it sounds!?

Want to address the gearbox noise before it gets any worse....
Unkle Munkle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Always working
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
Autolusso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 6,500
Images: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the end case of the M32 gearbox can be removed with the gearbox in situ? The offending bearing that causes all the problems should be staring you in the face then!

Knowing Alfa, it's probably not possible and complete nightmare of a job - especially with sub-frame removal! Unless this isn't as bad as it sounds!?

Want to address the gearbox noise before it gets any worse....
Yes you can just about get it off but there is no point doing it like that. The gearbox must be completely stripped and all the plastic bearing races cleaned to get all the swarf out

Do the job properly or do it twice

Ned
Autolusso is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
Status: Back to two Alfas
AO Silver Member
 
Unkle Munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: United Kingdom
County: -
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Yes you can just about get it off but there is no point doing it like that. The gearbox must be completely stripped and all the plastic bearing races cleaned to get all the swarf out

Do the job properly or do it twice

Ned
Thought as much! Thanks Ned. Understand what you're saying. It's gotten slightly louder over the last few days. When accelerating on and off in 6th Gear at cruising speed, the gear stick moves slightly and there is a slight audible 'click' when acceleration is engaged. I think it's time to face facts and do the job.

My father-in-law is a (very busy) mechanic with his own business and has worked on all my Alfas. Is there any recommendations or tips regarding replacement parts (ie what to get / which make - unless OEM only available).

Absolutely dreading it. The sub-frame removal alone is going to be hell on earth, I'm sure.

Rockin' all over the road in Alfas since 1998 including: 164 TS, 164 QV 24v, 166 3.0 Super, 159 JTDM, 75 TS Veloce, 156 1.8 TS Veloce and the Giulietta Cloverleaf.
Unkle Munkle is offline  
 
Status: Always working
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
 
Autolusso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Bedfordshire
Posts: 6,500
Images: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Thought as much! Thanks Ned. Understand what you're saying. It's gotten slightly louder over the last few days. When accelerating on and off in 6th Gear at cruising speed, the gear stick moves slightly and there is a slight audible 'click' when acceleration is engaged. I think it's time to face facts and do the job.

My father-in-law is a (very busy) mechanic with his own business and has worked on all my Alfas. Is there any recommendations or tips regarding replacement parts (ie what to get / which make - unless OEM only available).

Absolutely dreading it. The sub-frame removal alone is going to be hell on earth, I'm sure.
We can supply you all the parts you need to rebuild it

Ned
Autolusso is offline  
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: -
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Thought as much! Thanks Ned. Understand what you're saying. It's gotten slightly louder over the last few days. When accelerating on and off in 6th Gear at cruising speed, the gear stick moves slightly and there is a slight audible 'click' when acceleration is engaged. I think it's time to face facts and do the job.

My father-in-law is a (very busy) mechanic with his own business and has worked on all my Alfas. Is there any recommendations or tips regarding replacement parts (ie what to get / which make - unless OEM only available).

Absolutely dreading it. The sub-frame removal alone is going to be hell on earth, I'm sure.
I tried to remove the end-case, because I couldn't get anyone to remove the gearbox and get the car back to me in a reasonable period. Unfortunately it doesn't come out cleanly as suggested. After removing allll the bolts, I had to remove all the shafts and selectors, before I could get the end case actually out. The subsequent (blind) reassembly was a nightmare. It took 2 days in total from start to finish. Very daunting, but I don't have the necessary lifting equipment to remove the gearbox.

As Ned pointed out, cleaning is a challenge also. Thankfully there is no damage to the gear teeth and I am hoping the bearings will survive another 80,000 km.

I wouldn't recommend this approach, because it's difficult to recover, if it starts to go wrong. Also, there are too many parts that need to be removed and then reassembled.
gmewales is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , case , end , gearbox , m32 , removal

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
Replace with
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome