159 M32 gearbox - end case removal - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -
Help 159 M32 gearbox - end case removal

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the end case of the M32 gearbox can be removed with the gearbox in situ? The offending bearing that causes all the problems should be staring you in the face then!

Knowing Alfa, it's probably not possible and complete nightmare of a job - especially with sub-frame removal! Unless this isn't as bad as it sounds!?

Want to address the gearbox noise before it gets any worse....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Munkle View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the end case of the M32 gearbox can be removed with the gearbox in situ? The offending bearing that causes all the problems should be staring you in the face then!

Knowing Alfa, it's probably not possible and complete nightmare of a job - especially with sub-frame removal! Unless this isn't as bad as it sounds!?

Want to address the gearbox noise before it gets any worse....
Yes you can just about get it off but there is no point doing it like that. The gearbox must be completely stripped and all the plastic bearing races cleaned to get all the swarf out

Do the job properly or do it twice

Ned
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 13-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
Yes you can just about get it off but there is no point doing it like that. The gearbox must be completely stripped and all the plastic bearing races cleaned to get all the swarf out

Do the job properly or do it twice

Ned
Thought as much! Thanks Ned. Understand what you're saying. It's gotten slightly louder over the last few days. When accelerating on and off in 6th Gear at cruising speed, the gear stick moves slightly and there is a slight audible 'click' when acceleration is engaged. I think it's time to face facts and do the job.

My father-in-law is a (very busy) mechanic with his own business and has worked on all my Alfas. Is there any recommendations or tips regarding replacement parts (ie what to get / which make - unless OEM only available).

Absolutely dreading it. The sub-frame removal alone is going to be hell on earth, I'm sure.

Rockin' all over the road in Alfas since 1998 including: 164 TS, 164 QV 24v, 166 3.0 Super, 159 JTDM, 75 TS Veloce, 156 1.8 TS Veloce and the Giulietta Cloverleaf.

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Thought as much! Thanks Ned. Understand what you're saying. It's gotten slightly louder over the last few days. When accelerating on and off in 6th Gear at cruising speed, the gear stick moves slightly and there is a slight audible 'click' when acceleration is engaged. I think it's time to face facts and do the job.

My father-in-law is a (very busy) mechanic with his own business and has worked on all my Alfas. Is there any recommendations or tips regarding replacement parts (ie what to get / which make - unless OEM only available).

Absolutely dreading it. The sub-frame removal alone is going to be hell on earth, I'm sure.
We can supply you all the parts you need to rebuild it

Ned

Quote:

I tried to remove the end-case, because I couldn't get anyone to remove the gearbox and get the car back to me in a reasonable period. Unfortunately it doesn't come out cleanly as suggested. After removing allll the bolts, I had to remove all the shafts and selectors, before I could get the end case actually out. The subsequent (blind) reassembly was a nightmare. It took 2 days in total from start to finish. Very daunting, but I don't have the necessary lifting equipment to remove the gearbox.

As Ned pointed out, cleaning is a challenge also. Thankfully there is no damage to the gear teeth and I am hoping the bearings will survive another 80,000 km.

I wouldn't recommend this approach, because it's difficult to recover, if it starts to go wrong. Also, there are too many parts that need to be removed and then reassembled.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , case , end , gearbox , m32 , removal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page