Definitive 159/ Brera Buyers Guide - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 11Likes

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseLad View Post
I was informed there is a Base trim ( 15" or 16" wheel ), then a Turismo ( 16" Wheel ) , then Turismo Sport ( 17" Wheel ), then Turismo S.E ( 18" Wheel ) , Lusso ( 17" / 18" Wheel ), Elegante ( 17" Wheel ) then Ti ( 19" Wheel )

My Turismo S.E , has 18" wheels, Full Leather, and lots of toys that would be in a Lusso or Ti. Probably better equipped than later 159's as standard. Alfa never got to grips with specifications in the 159's late 2005 - late 2008, just like they did with the 156's with SP1 - SP3 Packs with Turismo, Veloce, Lusso, Ti's, GTA trims

Suggest that you list all the petrol models as you have done with the 1.9 and 2.4 diesels, 2.2 maybe the preferred choice even though it has issues, but the other 3 engines, 1.8 TBI, 1.9JTS and 1.8MPI, maybe in smaller numbers compared to the 2.2, but do not suffer the same problems as the 2.2. Also not to exclude the mighty 3.2 V6 in Q2 / Q4 format.
Thanks for posting that, I've been curious about my 159 1.8 Turismo, it has 18" wheels, leather, privacy glass, chrome kick plates, so I guess it's a SE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Malaysia
I'm proud to use 2.2 JTS until today. The arms upper and lower must be check when there a squeak sound especially after the road bump. Steering fluid must be check before there's a problem on the steering.

County: -
Rear Springs

Hi

Has anyone seen any major issues with the rear springs on a 159 2008 1.9 diesel. Looking at one now but noticed both show as broke on last mot. Was not sure if this was a known issue or user abuse.

cheers,
Mark.

(Post Link) post #54 of 78 Old 12-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillage View Post
Hi

Has anyone seen any major issues with the rear springs on a 159 2008 1.9 diesel. Looking at one now but noticed both show as broke on last mot. Was not sure if this was a known issue or user abuse.

cheers,
Mark.
This is a known issue, seems to be more of an issue on the Ti (with lowered suspension), majority of people replace the springs with Eibach Pro kit, this is roughly the height of the Ti springs anyway. If you have a high miler, you can also replace the dampers, Bilstein B4 are equivalent.

Both are pretty cheap delivered from Alfisti.net!

I've now edited the main article.
AO Member

County: Oslo

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

So I went ahead and got myself a 07 SW 1.9 Ti spec. First diesel ever and very different compared to the 156GTA.

Anyways, I'm in need of a few bits and pieces like interior parts, covers, mounting plugs, wiper arms in the front with the plastic covers, bolts that are used to screw headlights on etc.

As these parts aren't found in the ordinary online stores, where can I get such, if from a breaker, will they usually ship abroad?

Then I have a question related to the hatch, is it supposed to be such a tight fit, both on top of the roof, where it has already taken some chunks of paint off, but also in the bottom edges where it has been rubbing against rear wings and bumper?

Have anyone emcountered it and how did they align or fix it?
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Nothing :-(

I'm thinking of a 159SW but not sure which to get. Had a 156 JTS Veloce facelift previously and want something I (hopefully) don't need to spend out big on in the short-term (not something you can really guarantee!). Are there more known issues with the 159SW than the 156SW? Budget isn't great so between 2500 (if 156) to max of 3 or 4k depending on age/mileage.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 401
County: Mid Glamorgan
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
I'm thinking of a 159SW but not sure which to get. Had a 156 JTS Veloce facelift previously and want something I (hopefully) don't need to spend out big on in the short-term (not something you can really guarantee!). Are there more known issues with the 159SW than the 156SW? Budget isn't great so between 2500 (if 156) to max of 3 or 4k depending on age/mileage.
I bought a 159SW 3.2 Q4 a couple of months ago for 3k. It's a 100k miler and needed a little TLC but...... What else can you get with that kind of performance and drop dead looks for your budget?
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Brera S Prodrive

What's the timing chain change interval on the 2.2 petrol Brera?

How well does the clutch hold up on this model?
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemackem View Post
What's the timing chain change interval on the 2.2 petrol Brera?

How well does the clutch hold up on this model?
There isn't a timing chain change interval. It isn't a service item.
Replace if the diagnostics indicate that it's 'stretched', if not, leave well alone.
Nothing like the cam belts of old.

Clutch seems very robust.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S Prodrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Replace if the diagnostics indicate that it's 'stretched', if not, leave well alone.

Thanks for the reply
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S Prodrive

Quote:

Well having read many threads on the problem with timing chains on early 2.2 JTS breras I'm now having second thoughts on this 06 which I'm supposed to go and see on Saturday especially so when I've just read someone had to change there's at 16k, one person had 20k on the clock and some had 30k on the clock. I have however mailed my indy garage for a price on what they would charge for changing the timing chain and sprockets if I were to buy the car.

Joe
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Well having read many threads on the problem with timing chains on early 2.2 JTS breras I'm now having second thoughts on this 06 which I'm supposed to go and see on Saturday especially so when I've just read someone had to change there's at 16k, one person had 20k on the clock and some had 30k on the clock. I have however mailed my indy garage for a price on what they would charge for changing the timing chain and sprockets if I were to buy the car.

Joe
Mine went at about 45k. My local garage sorted the whole job for 380. No big deal really.
Most garages will have had experience of it with its prevalence in the old Vectra engine.
Later engines are also no different to '06 ones.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera S Prodrive

Quote:
Mine went at about 45k. My local garage sorted the whole job for 380. No big deal really.
Most garages will have had experience of it with its prevalence in the old Vectra engine.
Later engines are also no different to '06 ones.
Thank for the reply........

Below was his reply.......

Hi Joe

Unfortunately the timing chains can be a problem!!! When we replace the timing chain we also replace the balance shaft chain as these can fail also!!
The cost to do this is 600-700 incl of everything.
Only way of telling if it is worn is if there is any audible rattling!!
Best Regards
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Thank for the reply........

Below was his reply.......

Hi Joe

Unfortunately the timing chains can be a problem!!! When we replace the timing chain we also replace the balance shaft chain as these can fail also!!
The cost to do this is 600-700 incl of everything.
Only way of telling if it is worn is if there is any audible rattling!!
Best Regards
I guess it depends on exactly what gets changed.
Mine would have just been the chain and associated ancillaries, I'm almost certain I had nothing to do with the balance shaft changed.
I have a 'rattle' for a few seconds when the car is first started from cold, but it only started doing that after I had the chain done. That was 18 months ago.
I suspect it's the variator but that's purely a guess.
joemackem likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Nothing :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholik View Post
I bought a 159SW 3.2 Q4 a couple of months ago for 3k. It's a 100k miler and needed a little TLC but...... What else can you get with that kind of performance and drop dead looks for your budget?
My wife wouldn't allow that (and we need to consider running costs a bit) hence looking at 1.9TD engine (I'd prefer the 2l but it's likely out of budget).
AO Member

AO Member

County: -Australia
Thanks for the excellent thread - I had a 2007 2.2 JTS Brera for 4 years (2008-12) and did 85,000kms with no issues at all - now have a 2011 1750TBi and the improved equipment levels including Blue & me, electric heated seats (I live in Canberra - its cold in winter) and the much improved fuel economy and performance of the turbo engine makes it the model to get in my view and also one of the best value quality sports cars in Australia for the price you can pick a low kilometre one up for second hand. Only issues for me was a fuel pump problem causing turbo drop ( needed a new fuel pump at 30,000km) and a leaking back left light unit - fixed now - oh and hitting a kangaroo!!!! Car showed its strength in that encounter and the up side was that the stone chips on the bonnet got fixed as well!!! I think Alfa should have prolonged and re-vamped the model with the 1.75TBi engine in it instead of stopping making it - the back seat is useful (for small people) and at least gives you an option - unlike many other cars, and the boot space is exceptional for a sports car.
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
Just bought a 2.0 JTDM 170 bhp - is it worth or possible to blank the egr on this engine?
(Post Link) post #69 of 78 Old 28-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Yes it's possible, still worth doing , but not as necessary as on the 1.9, it's more difficult to put the plate in too

Hi All,

Quick question,

Where does the "Sportivo" fit into the 159??

I see cars advertised as this but "Sportivo" doesnt seem to be part of the series.....Very confused!!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuculainn View Post
Hi All,

Quick question,

I see cars advertised as this but "Sportivo" doesnt seem to be part of the series.....Very confused!!
AFAIK, there's no such thing in the UK.
Please provide a link to an advertisement you've seen (if UK).

This is in Ireland.
http://m.carsireland.ie/detail.php?a...3D1120%26g%3D0

Sent from my JY-G4S using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #73 of 78 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuculainn View Post
Hi All,

Quick question,

It's not a trim level in the UK, looking at a couple of ads from Ireland it appears to be a pretty low trim level, nearest would appear to the the Turrismo Sport, 17" wheels, cloth seats (I saw one with leather (option?)), it's got small alloys, the steering wheel is the standard one (the Turrismo sport in the UK got the Ti sports steering wheel). Looking at a very early post on here, it was about 1k more than the Turismo.

Really need more information though as there are not a huge number of cars to see with that spec, and some differ.

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian
AO Member

County: Durham
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM TI

Great thread, very useful!

Just returned to the Alfa fold and bought myself another 159 (2.0 JTDM TI).

By the way, have just spent some time in Italy and seen quite a few Giulia's on the road. Very nice!
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso

Thank You All

What a great thread! Good questions, great answers. I flippin' love this forum (must come back more often). My Beloved old 147 (03 car, had it 8 years - lots of smiles... ) is on it's last legs, so off to market I go....

Thanks all - I'll let you know what I end up with (Brera 2.2 probably...)

Cheers Aye!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or , brera , buyers , definitive , guide

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page