So today I decided to revisit my design. The pipes were running rather tight and too soft when warm, plus and the real reas on for doing this, the unit wasn't mounted to my satisfaction.
This seemed like a good time to revisit the filter element too, as I wasn't sure it was as effective as it could be.
I had a couple of spare air compressor filter units. These have some real nice sponges in them. Honestly I am not sure if they will work or clogg up or what. We will see.
I also had some upol aluminium mesh in the shed, so I set about making my own K&N style filter. I cut a metal cage to the size I needed and clipped it together with some staples. I put the staples in by hand and crimped them with some long nose pillars. I then stuffed the sponges in there and reassembled.
If this fails the MK3 filter will simply be layer upon layer of this mesh. Just to gI've oil something to condense on. We can only see.
I made a bracket up from some plate I had. This is still a bit temp, once complete the unit will just get hose clipped to a plate that won't be visible running down the side of the cam casing.
Next is the embarasing bit - in true hillbilly style I've used hose pipe. This is obviously not ideal but is reenforced pipe and so should gI've a better proof of concept. Will mount on something more appropriate if it works out but it should be stronger than the previous pipe.
Hopefully all goes well, will test this tomorrow .
1999 156 1.8TS Sport Pack 3
2001 166 3.0 V6 24V Super
2003 156 GTA 3.2 V6 24V
2005 156 1.9 JTDM-Jet Sport
2008 159 1.9 JTDM Lusso
1997 GTV 2.0TS Lusso
2001 147 1.6TS Lusso
Last edited by Artermis; 08-06-15 at 04:44.