Oil Separator / Catch Can Installation
Okay, so here is how I got on with my isntallation. Was good fun working it all out.
I've attached the pictures below for information.
First things first - from Jay's experience the standard oil separator filter is just too heavy and restrictive for the airflow and presents issues for the vehicles running.
I never even fitted my unit with the filter as factory. Instead I chose to modify my filter. You can hopefully make out in the picture that I have drilled a series of holes in it.
I did this as I didn't want to and couldn't simply remove the filter entirely. It supported other elementsof the filter, so without something in place it wouldn't have worked - but I wanted something there. The holes are there to direct the airflow at the walls of the unit, therefore giving the oil a surface to hit ad stick to. Whether this will be achieved or not, I don't know.
It also helps remove restriction from the system of course. I simply blew through the filter to test the difference and it was marked.
So, filter modified and fitted, unit in hand I have the following parts list:
1 x filter unit (£15)
2 x 15mm male-to-male coupler fittings (£2.80 from B&Q Trade Point)
1 x 1m length of 12.5mm clear hose (B&Q £2.90)
1 x pack of push fit plumbing pipe stiffners (Wickes - I had these in the shed from when I fitted my bathroom, so no idea on cost)
1 x small length of copper pipe (this was used to foce the rubber hose over to make a slightly larger 'pipe stiffner' to fit to the factory plumbing.
1 x roll of plumbers PTFE tape - seals the unions on the filter unit.
The push fit pipe stiffners go inside of the clear hose, slide the olive from the coupler over the pipe and stiffner and tighten down provides a a good seal. this is the only mechanical joint I actually have in the system at the moment (more on that later).
You can see from the pics below, I've installed the unit down the side of the cam cover, just in front of the engine mount there, it seems the only sensible place to go ahead and fit such a size unit without butchering the factory plumbing.
If I do a mod it has to be that the vehicle can be returned to factory without a trace of the mod ever having been there. Therefore I didn't want to cut the factory pipe.
The factory link to the intake is a small rubber pipe from the induction pipe and is a quick u-bend to a metal pipe over the top of the engine.
I've unclipped this from the engine side and fed the output from the filter unit into this. This is where I had a small section of copper pipe inside my clear hose, this then is a push fit into the factory black pipe - no hose clips.
On the rear of the engine there is also a short length of rubber hose, that runs from factory oil separator to the metal pipe running over the engine. I've unclipped this from the metal pipe and again insert my feed line to the filter unit, a small bit of copper pipe again making my union to the factory piping.
That was pretty much that, installed.
You will notice, with the exception of the filter unit couplings, everything is push fit. Two reasons behind this....
The system isn't really a pressurised system, it shouldn't build pressure. it should run as freely as possible back to the intake. Therefore if any pressure builds it should pope a pipe. I want this happen whilst I test the system, so i can pick up on the pressure points and address these according to where the pressure builds. I will button this up once the system has tested and been proven.
Second reason is whilst I test it if it does all go wrong I can simply pull over and reconnect to factory and carry on my way with no issues.
The plan for now is to carry on testing. i won't consider the filter tested until I've managed a good 1,000 miles or so on it and preferably a motorway run as well. At that point I will make a bracket up for the unit and mount this up properly in its location and replace the clear pipe with black pipe. The clear pipe was easy to source and again allows me to view what is take place at different points in the system.
I went for a run out to my mothers last night, mothers day and all, which gave me a change to get down some A roads and get the car up to temp. Its about a 15 min run and around 6 /7 miles but the car was up to temp before I set off having waited for the wife to finish work.
Initially it seemed good and felt smoother. I've not had the opportunity to check the filter itself to see if / what has been collected as it was dark but the car did certainly seem to idle smoother. will wait to see what happens for smoke on start and report back in time.
Hope all that makes sense!
Last edited by Artermis; 08-06-15 at 04:44.