Gearbox Woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

Gearbox Woes

Well after 3 years of trouble free motoring and 90K+ miles its looks like I have the M32 gearbox woes. Travelling in 6th gear at 70mph went to accelerate and nothing happened apart from high revs so went to drop into 5th and then couldn't change gear at all completely stuck in neutral. So after 4 hrs on the side of the road before I got home its due to be towed to my local indie garage on Monday.

Reading on here it seems to suggest im looking between 1200-2K to put it all right including flywheel, clutch,bearings etc.

So my question is this once its been fixed how much longer will it stay on the road for, will the gearbox be back to new or could something else go wrong. Its 57 plate 97K miles had the egr valve done and cambelt done. Really hoping to keep it for another year or two before the 2015 replacements come out. I love the car but having trust issues.
Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about the gearbox.
Once repaired it should last well over 50,000 miles - maybe 100,000 if you treat it well. No guarantee on the other components of course - suspension could well crop up, you might need another cambelt change and you need to check if the subframe is quietly rusting away. Electrical gremlins could strike at any time as well - its all a lottery, even with a brand new car.
And by 2016 ish, when a Giulia finally comes to the UK it is likely to be a lot more expensive and your 159 could be worth pennies. My 159 1.9 Lusso was 22,500 RRP in 2008 and that wouldn't really get you into a similar spec Giulietta nowadays.
Tough call, but once repaired you need to get some of the investment back - drive it and enjoy it.
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
I was told an M32 gearbox repair can't be guaranteed - it is what it is.
If you read up on them you'll find cases were they've started having problems at only 20k miles from brand new!
AO Member
County: Essex
How long is a bit of string ?. I guess if u changer the dmf clutch and all other moving parts release bearing slave cylinder and get gearbox fixed you an,t gonna get much change from 1500 2000.
Then the drive train should be o.k for 50 k . but how long will the rest of the metal box last
New cars lose 3 / 5 grand a year, 2nd hand cars cost 1,000 a year to maintain and lose 2 / 4 grand .
You pay your monies and take your chance !!!!!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

gearbox , woes