BRERA NEWBIE - what to look out for - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 26-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Argyll and Bute
BRERA NEWBIE - what to look out for

This monday I became the proud owner of a one owner 2006 blue 3.2 SV JTS Q4 - my first Alfa and first coupe.
Its done 37k miles and I am changing discs and pads next week, giving it a full service and have ordered a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres (its got 17" multispoke alloys).

What do I need to look out for on this model re the engine and suspension (bushes etc)?

It had an advisory at the last mot for track rod ends which I'll also change and the oil level sensor is kaput judging by the recurring P0520 code, though the oil temp gauge is working. (the oil level display does show prior to starting)

The drive back from the shady dealer was 'interesting'. I thought I'd been stitched up as it knock and vibrated badly, something I didn't notice on the demo drive. Turns out the rear nearside wheel bolts were all loose by a good 2 turns. I assume they had not been tightened properly and worked loose. Is this a common occurence or even an indication of other problems?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Brera 2.0 Jtdm

Congratulations on the purchase.

If it's a standard Brera, then I would consider changing the suspension with new shocks and springs, which I've done. There are a few threads on here talking about it. I'd also consider replacing the bushes with Powerflex bushes which I'm looking at later in year. A fairly cheap upgrade, also on here, are HID light upgrades.

One thing that I'd check are the heater elements on the rear windscreen. If you put the radio on FM with the rear windscreen on, does it crackle? That's the sign of broken elements, which mine has.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Check the front wheels for premature wear on the inside edge, get four wheel alignment done if worn ( early cars have a very aggressive set up, and could wear a pair of fronts in 8k),
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

Definitely worth fitting Eibach pro springs, or similar. Powerflex bushes on the front and a 4 wheel alignment at Autolusso will really make a difference. Maybe also a custom stainless steel exhaust and remap from somewhere like Alfatune..

Good luck, the Brera is a great car..
AO Gold Member
Engine flush and regular oil changes on the 3.2 or it dies a death on the timing chains.

Power steering can be flaky, especially on the Mk1 reservoir and red fluid. If its green, it should be trouble free.

Oil level sensor is ore trouble than its worth,
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

Get the sub frames f&r checked for rust and treat underside
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 27-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Argyll and Bute
Thanks for the tips.
Engine flush on the list for next weeks service.

Not sure about suspension, it seems to be sitting quite low. I cannot lower it any further as it grounds the undertray on the single track roads up here in the Highlands.

However I might change the dampers - its feels a bit under damped and jiggly. Fine on pot holes, speed humps, cattle grids etc, but jiggly on fairly smooth surfaces. (ie damping works on larger suspension movement, but not so well on small movement)

Remap on the cards from in Northumberland (I've used their remaps and unique tuning boxes on all my other vehicles, both in most cases as the results are amazing)

There is an advisory on the exhaust flexipipes - are these bolt on or part of the system / cat?
County: -

Member car:

Brera V6

Could someone please instruct how the engine flush is done properly on the 3.2 jts? Thanks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , newbie