Puzzled: clutch issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 17-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
Hmmm Puzzled: clutch issue

Hi guys,
I have an intermittent clutch slip.
It started slipping slightly in October so I drove like a granny for a few days / week.
Then it was ok, wouldn't slip at all, no matter how hard I tried to make it slip.

Three weeks ago it started slipping again so I bought a new clutch and CSC, whilst waiting to order a flywheel I was lift sharing to work so I never drove the car at all for 5 days.
Well yesterday I took her for a spin... Once again, absolutely NO slippage... No matter how hard I try to make it slip under load, to try and justify buying the flywheel and clutch.

Do the 2.4 engines have any known problems with the crank seal and bearing???
Thinking that maybe it's passing some oil and with it sitting for a few days it has dried up giving me a positive bite again...

Alfas don't break down..... They stop to be admired

Alfas don't leak oil.... They are marking their territory
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Have not read any problems in that area on the 159. Have you check the brake/clutch fluid recently cause on my 916 I realisedthe clutch take off pipe is higher tthat the brakes for safety reasons. Probably the same on the 159 which has a hydraulic. Operated clutch via a slave cylinder in side the bell housing. Therefore if the fluid is low its the clutch that's fails first/ well operation of clutch anyway. Has you car got a dual mass flywheel on it think it has these I expensive from what Ivbe read more threads on here about DMF just search it. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem.If its slipping ( revs rise but car does not go faster more noticeableuphill )
ITS Probably you clutch plate worn out
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
I've already bought clutch and dmf so I will replace regardless, but don't want same problem with new clutch.
I didn't think of slave cylinder, I'll check the level later on.
Thinking about it though, I do get quite a bit of brake fade under heavy braking so could well be the oil level...
AO Silver Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

GT 3.2V6

I had this same thing on mine, never got to the bottom of it before I sold it but and I wrote about it on here previously. I only used the 159 from September to April for the past 3 years and the previous years I have encountered clutch slip in high gears, once it started it was easy to replicate but it would disappear as quickly as it had arrived, and every year I just wanted to get it to April without forking out for a clutch each year as id already replaced it 2 years previous....this year up until it was sold in Jan it had been completely fine but the explanation above would make sense I suppose.

I know we had issues with VW Passats and low hydraulic fluid with cars at work as when it was low it would cause problems with the auto parking brakes and also the clutch on some cars come to think about it...

Past 1999 - Grigio Chiaro, 156 2.0 T-Spark SP1 - 2007 - Strombolli 159 1.9JTDM LUSSO SW + Alfatune DPF Removal/Map --- Present 2005 - Strombolli GT 3.2 V6

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

clutch , issue , puzzled