Muppet vs Brera dash - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 04-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
Muppet vs Brera dash

Had to share my sheer frustration and somewhat amazement at what arrived at my door today.

Picked up from eBay a centre console, gear surround, steering wheel trim and dash trims. The wheel trim and dash trims are the brushed metal effect type. dash trims are fine, wheel trim is a bit grubby no problem.

I should mention that the eBay seller, catlow (a breakers yard), initially declined to sell me the centre console and gear surround due to their condition, however after explaining my intentions he agreed to sell so long as we were both clear on what was being offered. For the record I am very very pleased with their service and were great to deal with and would recommend them.

reason for not wanting to sell is the owner (who for the purposes of this post I shall refer to as Cpt. *** Features) had painted the parts black.

Check this out.....

Honestly the finish is utterly appalling - what on earth would compel a member of the human race to commit such acts of vandalism I will never know.

Honestly, I think *** Features may have applied the paint using the blunt end of a brick, it is that bad.

Thankfully, after about 45 minutes with the gear surround some improvements were noted:

The finish is so poor that I literally picked the paint off with my finger nails, no joke. I ran this under hot water and picked it all off. There was no primer, no clear coat, nothing!

I didn't quite get to finish it off completely as I ran out of light and my cat took exception to being neglected and launched an assault on my wedding vegetables.

I might get away with just a good machine polish and they will be okay, but that leaves me with a dilemma.......

See my plan was to finish this using a method known as hydrographics or dipping.. sure you have heard of it. Given their apparent condition do I:

1. clean up, polish and keep as brushed effect, downside being may not get all marks out of them (scratches / dings)

2. primer it properly with acid etch, high build primer and paint either white to match the car or Stromboli grey to give a good simple effective finish.

3. again primer up properly but then dip, can go for carbon fibre pattern, brushed metal pattern or virtually any finish you can think of. This is by far the hardest finish to achieve but does look good.

What to do.....
Sponsored Links
That previous paint job is a joke - never seen anything like it!
Nice job - previous owner may not have been convinced he wanted to keep it black so he would just "try it to see what it looks like" lol

I think we can forget about finishing them in white. Would be different - but a bit too 1960s.

My preferences would be the carbon fibre or back to brushed metal.
AO Member
County: SHA

Member car:

159 1.9 jtdm

I would brush it and anodize a gun metal finish
AO Member
County: Kent
I rather like the dark brushed metal, as all 159s came with as standard towards the end. As long as it's not scratched up or dented, I'd be looking to have it returned to that. Having it brushed and anodised would do it, I should think?
AO Member
County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Brera S 2.2

Just buying a Brera that needs a bonnet respray due to chips, and was considering maybe wrapping it rather than painting (just an idea at mo), but can you wrap intricate parts like this, if so options are just about unlimited
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Originally Posted by MickT View Post
Just buying a Brera that needs a bonnet respray due to chips, and was considering maybe wrapping it rather than painting (just an idea at mo), but can you wrap intricate parts like this, if so options are just about unlimited
Sargent had his wrapped, looked good, but started to bubble after a year or so and an absolute bugger to remove from what I recall him saying:

Edit, found his quote: "Its such a ball ache to remove this stuff. I wouldnt recommend a wrap to anyone. Im very dissapointed with the way mine has not stood up to the elements!"

Alfa romeo 159 | PW Pro

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , dash , muppet