EGR blanking - Pro's and Con's - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 29-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Queensland

Member car:

EGR blanking - Pro's and Con's

What are the benefits and downsides of blanking the EGR valve?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Armagh

Member car:

2.4 159 ti

Smoother idle, more responsive at lower revs, marginally higher MPG.

No real cons apart from an EML that can be removed by buying a Fixitsan dongle
AO Member
County: Essex
More responsive . feel like engine got a bit more go. Upto 10% improvement in mpg if you don,t boot it.
Used to get max 37 just got 41 on Avery good run. Main one stops all soot going thru the inlet

Cons car takes a lot longer to warm up in traffic. Eml on and engine produces more NOx gas.( that's what efgr does lower the combustion temperature so no NOx gas is produced. By feeding an inert gas exhaust back in the engine.
AO Silver Member
County: Lincolnshire
polar bears probably won't thank you but there is no real down side as a driver.

I think regs changed around 2008ish so cars had to monitor for exhaust gas / air quality so if it sense the increased nox gas it throws a wobbler - but there are plenty of remaps and devices out there that just delete the code as it appears in the fault table.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
• Better MPG. Average mpg over 5,000miles before fitting (running with an EGR restrictor) was 43.5mpg, in the 4,000+ miles since, it is 46.5mpg (6% better). About the same as the drop measured by the American trucking association measured over their fleet when EGRs were introduced!
• , due to the above, this gives me about 50 miles extra per tank, or 7saving (paying for itself quickly), especially as I get paid 14p per mile with work.
• Do you find yourself riding the clutch a little too much for your liking when pulling off in first? I used to….the car is now FAR more responsive at these low revs (it was a shock first time!), and a little more responsive through the engine range
• Less soot in the manifold and on the swirl flaps etc (which also produces less soot in the exhaust as it causes flocking of particles).
• More power, probably around the same 6% as efficiency savings, it is certainly noticeable below 2,000rpm, but elsewhere not hugely noticeable.
• No EGR issues!!!!
• Lower maintenance? Hopefully with the points noted above,there should be benefits, longer clutch life, no EGR failures, less likelyhood of swirl valves sticking, less gunk in the turbo, reduced gunk in the inlet valves, and all the issues associated with those (MPG, driveability, cost)

• Occasional EML light, this has happened 3 times since fitting my dongle. Clears when the engine switched off and keys removed (appears the cause is removing the key too quick! The light appears on the next journey. The dongle needs around 4 secs to clear the fault codes between switching off and key removal)
• Some people like to have another dongle in their OBDII port (to continuously read their engine), this will clearly be in use.
• More NoX emissions (less CO2 though!)

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

blanking , con , egr , pro