Flat Battery and Inertial Device Error - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 166 Ti

Flat Battery and Inertial Device Error

I started my 159 last night (2.2 petrol), and the engine turned over slightly and failed to fire. After a couple more attempts, I got a click sound and no sound of the engine turning. It was late so I decided to use my wife's car for work and look at the 159 after work today. The car had stood still for almost a week over the holidays.

I hooked up the jump start cables today, and when I pressed the Start button in the 159, I noticed a petrol pump symbol on the display, with a line through it. The engine would not turn over, and an error "Inertial Device Intervened" appeared on the display. A search of this forum led me to reset the fuel cut-off (under the passenger seat) and the power cut-off (on top of the battery). I then disconnected the battery for a while, and later tried another jump start with the same result. The symbol and error message both appeared.

I packed away the jump start cables, tried both reset buttons again, put the bonnet down, and before taking a break, tried the Start button one more time in vain hope. The same symbol and error appeared. Frustrated, I took the ignition key out, popped it back in, pressed Start, and the car fired to life. Brilliant !!

I took the car for a 30 minute spin, parked up at home, switched it off, then back on, pressed Start, and nothing !! Just the same symbol and error again. I don't feel any pressure when I press the fuel cut-off reset, so think this is not the problem. I also had a new battery installed in May when I bought the car.

Do I just buy a new battery and hopefully the problem will go away ? Is there another sequence of actions I should try ? I am a bit stumped. I can use a spanner and know my way around a car to do simple jobs, so suggestions would be most welcome. It seems a number of people on AO have had similar problems, and the most common solution has been a change of battery. Mine is fairly new, so before I spend some cash, I thought there's no harm in asking. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Sounds like something might be draining the battery.
Give it a good charge for 48 hours trickle. Then check all your elec trick sys.
If the car starts after a good charge, problem could be the alternator not charging
Someone else on here had a faulty start button.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

battery , device , error , flat , inertial