1750 TBi oil filter housing fell apart - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 01-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Pest
1750 TBi oil filter housing fell apart

Yesterday I changed my cambelt, water pump, pulleys etc. put new air filter, new coolant in... started up, let it warm up to temp. everything was fine. Cool I thought, just a quick oil change and I'm done.

Well this didn't happen, because as I removed the filter cartridge, and was messing around replacing the large O-ring on the cap, I heard a pop from the filter housing, and a slightly distorted spring jumped to the floor. I also collected a small grey plastic plunger, plus a number of small broken plastic bits and pieces.

I think it must be either a bypass valve for the filter, or an anti-drainback valve... The latter could explain the few seconds of lifter rattle on startup, which I had for the last few months.

I checked ePer, and it looks like I need to buy a whole "heat exchanger", that is containing the ready assembled filter base, plus a...well a heat exchanger... ePer says 130EUR... for a 1EUR plastic plunger...

I suggest to check this bit of plastic when you change your oil, as it could make some nasty surprise, if it breaks in operation. If it is the bypass valve, it means unfiltered oil for the engine and the turbo....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

1750 , fell , filter , housing , oil , tbi