How to achieve the original Alfa 'grumble' on my 159??( petrol )- any ideas ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 21-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 159 1.9 JTS

Crazed How to achieve the original Alfa 'grumble' on my 159??( petrol )- any ideas ?

Hi guys , had my Alfa 159 1.9 jts for almost 7 weeks now & love it , it's solid & great to drive -sorted the poor headlamp light output with osrams & am now looking into twin tail exhausts ( will look much better) , and any other wee tuning tips appreciated , but wondered if anyone out there could reccomend how u could get a little more 'burble' from the engine noise / exhaust , as the 159 is so refined now , it's lost it's sporty edge , but in a good way !! Any advice well appreciated , cheers
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Copenhagen
check it out at, they have variety range of exhaust from ragazzon to novitec.
Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Romeo 159 Tuning & Styling
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

How about chocolate paint and clutch, expensive tyres etc etc
AO Silver Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

Brera 2.2 JTS

A decent aftermarket stainless steel exhaust and remap should make things sound better. I'm planning to get my exhaust changed in the new year.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 26-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 159 1.9 JTS

Cool ,cheers , going for a pipercross replacement filter , not sure what plugs to get whilst servicing , defo stainless steel system , prob longlife system twin exit (349.00) , and possibly remap , just to lift the 'hesitation' on early lift off , keep u posted .
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory
I have heard it argued that part of the traditional Alfa sound is the nature of the camshaft profiles and how the airflows start and stop.

I haven't noticed anything significant after fitting a BMC air filter to my 3.2, but then I haven't gone near high revs while I'm waiting for a timing chain replacement. Some journalists highly rated the change in sound when BMW M fitted a carbon fibre airbox to the M3 CSL.

It could be that the exhaust sound is what you're after, but I'm more interested in what's coming through the firewall than behind the car.
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

E82 125i

I know this may to some sound like a pikeyfied solution, but drilling 10x1cm diameter holes in the outer casing of the factory airbox (near the top) will make it sound a lot better

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , achieve , alfa , grumble , ideas , original , petrol