Just thought I'd share a little project of mine and something I've been meaning to do since i got the 159, 6 months ago.
Never liked tne silver engine cover in the engine bay considering everything else under there is black so I thought I'd have a little change and try my hand at painting. Now every time I try something that involves paint I run into problems but fortunately this time I only had one but I'll go into that later.
This is what I started with
And something similar to this was the aim
I cleaned the cover with washing up liquid to remove any contaminants then dried using some paper towl. Then I used two coats of plastic primer on my cover followed by two coats of matt black paint obviously letting it dry between coats, masked off everything round the centre section and used a fiat red across the middle, again applying two coats.
After letting it dry I removed the masking. And here the problem began. I was very careful removing the masking but still some of the black paint came at with the tape. Not a happy bunny, but hey ho I filled in the few missing chips with some modeling paint, it was all in the crease around the red centre section so not terribly noticeable. Im told the peeling happens when the layers havent dried properly even though I kept to the time scales on the can.
To cover up any imperfections I got some matt lacquer from halfrauds and put a nice even coat all over. Once that was dry I found some old silver touch up paint from my former vectra and covered the lettering free hand to really bring it out, after that was done a few more coats of lacquer was added and finally I got the desired effect I was after.
Took about 3 days in total to prep and do all the layers of paint but was well worth it. The engine cover is probably one of the few things I can have off the car to do this sort of thing and not bother me
Just a quick clean round the engine bay then this thing is going on. Only shelled out a few pounds and is a great way to have something a little bit unique to you.