Alfa 159 2.4JTD Fuel Consumption - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

ALFA 156

Alfa 159 2.4JTD Fuel Consumption

Looking for some guidance here guys...
Considering a 159 2.4JTD but on the model I test drove the average fuel consumption showed 31mpg on 2000 miles!
Albeit everyone punishes cars during test drives, but this is a mile away from the claimed average of 41.5mpg. I am a high mileage driver and couldn't live with this difference.
Can anyone cast some light on their own experience for this model - what average mpg are you all achieving?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4 JTD

Re: Alfa 159 2.4JTD Fuel Consumption

After 2000+ miles I have 32 showing on computer. Recent fast 240 miles on M and A roads gave 35.5. Seems to be improving a bit and will continue to, I expect as engine getting even better all round. I guess 41 is possible if kept to speed limits, no air con and cooler weather.
AO Member
County: Cork

Member car:

Octavia vRS

Fuel economy doesn't get indicitive of the final amount until there is a lot of miles on a diesel. It could be 5-10k miles before it gets anywhere accurate. There should be a dieselhead along soon to give a better estimation of their diesel mpg rate.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Sorry, posted in error.
159 sounds very thirsty compared to my 156 though.

Last edited by Simon_S; 05-08-06 at 12:29. Reason: Posted in error
AO Member

I have a 2.4 159 with 7K miles on it and its now returning ~38-39 mpg. Ive (and i know this is a tad sad!) actually measured the economy each 1K miles for the last 7K. For the first 1K it averaged 34.5 mpg, For 2K or so I was getting ~35.2 mpg. As the miles have increased on the engine I have noticed a modest increase (~0.4mpg) in economy as each 1K is put on the engine. This increase in fuel economy as the miles clock up is typical for a diesel although my impression is that I won't really get a much better average per 1K miles than I am now.
My typical weekday journey is 10 miles of B roads (drinks it with the foot down obviously) followed by 40 miles of dual carriageway and another few miles of town driving and then the same upon the return jouney journey. If you're putting up big motorway miles you'll definitely get the high 30's but Ive never yet averaged over 40 mpg over the course of a full tank. Town driving in heavy traffic gives really, really poor economy as you might expect and this hits the average mpg. So on the return home I get ~41 mpg on the motorway but on the 10 miles of B roads (albeit with a heavyish right foot) this drops the economy down to ~39 mpg

Ive tried to drive the car gently (ie no thrashing on B roads and a stable 70 mph on the motorway) to see if i could replicate the manufacturers figures but havent been able to. Having said that, it may take another few thousand Ks to get to the +40 mpg. In my opinion, if you want mid 40s mpg go for the smaller diesel but if you really want to drive to work with a huge grin on your face each morning go for the 2.4.

Also, its possible that the ang*l tuning remap of the 2.4 might impro ve economy. I'm seriously considering it and if i do go for it i'll let you know how it affects economy.
AO Gold Member

At 1000 miles the computer says 32 mpg, its getting 33.5mpg when I work it out properly.

This is in mixed driving.

My TS done better than that!
AO Member
County: Cheshire

wait for the miles to pile on. I have had 2 x 10v 2.4's the first had 30k on it when it went and was returning mid to late 40's. my current steed has just hit 74k and is returning late 40's easily. as long as i use quality diesel. shell makes it go like a beast, but it drinks the stuff! texaco, esso and total seem the best for me.

also the car is noticbly quicker when older. i heard somewhere it can take 50k for a large capacity diesel to loosen up because they spend more time at lower revs than the little buzzy diesel engines.

'07 GT Blackline JTD, but a 159TI 2.4 on its way very shortly!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 24jtd , alfa , consumption , fuel