159 JTDM 1.9 turbo power dips - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-11-13 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa 159

159 JTDM 1.9 turbo power dips

I am a new member, hope you can help. Have had a 159 for a while, one 60 plate sportwagon recently sold, which was fine. Bought a 58 plate limited edition, high mileage diesel. Generally fine, but am getting turbo dips around 0.8 - 1.0 bar, usually after period of mid speed driving (70 ish) and when you go up a hill/put the engine 'on load'. Turbo dial dips erratically, and juddering as speed is interrupted. If you let the turbo drop lower, the problem goes away. Car is still in warranty but wondering if others have had the experience? I have seen it here and there on various forums.

Related or not, also getting sudden reduction in fuel consumption. With diesel price high, am watching for consumption. On motorway again, can be getting 55 - 60mpg nicely, then suddenly it drops to 30 - 35mpg under exact same conditions and stays there. Won't go to 99.9 (ie. max) even if going downhill. Have found that pulling off, switching off, and restarting seems to reset things back to 'normal' but I don't want to be doing that.

Again any help or ideas are welcome.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Toliman
Sound like a DPF regen cycle.

It will go through this process approx every 15+ hours or so and is normal for modern diesels. Have a search on the forum for loads of threads and discussions.

Mine has been programmed out and removed from the car by Gus at Alfatune so I no longer have this issue any more.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire
Another easy thing to check is whether the map (boost) sensor is blocked or very dirty. Mine was bad and it produced symptoms very close to what you describe. Cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and it's running brilliantly now.
AO Member
County: Essex
Yes to previous post worth cleaning easy to get at but you need torq bits. Yours does sound like regen.
Should happen approx 20 hours driving. The curr consumption is only a rough guide
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
What RPM is this happening at? May also be an errant EGR

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , dips , jtdm , power , turbo