Draining battery on alfa 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 25-11-13 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

Alfa159 ti

Draining battery on alfa 159

My 159 constantly flattens the battery when parked. It takes about a week to do so. It's warm weather, new battery, no probs with alternator. The car is two years old. I currently work away from home with a company car so my Alfa won't start - every weekend. It is obviously something draining the battery. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancashire
Tricky one because as a company car you probably won't want to pay for it yourself and Alfa will say there is nothing wrong with the battery when they stick it on a diagnostic.

I was having starting problems with my 1.9 diesel 159ti and it was draining fairly quickly even though the battery diagnostics machine said there was nothing wrong with it once started.

Got a Bosch S5 008 nearly 18 months ago and no problems since, seems to be the business and with a 5 year guarantee. Supposedly these batteries are good for cars with lots of electrical goodies on and don't drain as quickly. Actually bought it for about 85 then my local Alfa garage fitted it for 15and disposed of the old one for me which I though was pretty good!
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester
I had a similar problem before the OE battery died. It does seem fairly common with the model though I don't know if it's the alarm or whatever that causes it.

I put a more powerful Bosch battery on when I replaced it but have to admit, I still worry if I leave it more than a few days though it hasn't let me down since, even after a fortnight's summer holiday break.
AO Member
County: Copenhagen
What does the color code of the battery say, is there a green spot in the middle? Check your manual for it.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
There may be something just taking the battery life (saw one report saying their LED's in the roof lining stayed on), one thing is for sure, the alarm remains on, so try licking the car manually (key in the door) if you know you are not using it for a while, this will prevent the alarm from arming (and draining).
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

159 (1.9 JTDm)

If you have a digital multi meter - google "How to Test For Parasitic Battery Drain" (on your pc - not the multi meter !!!)

and view the you tube video from "eric the car guy"

Easy to check and trace the component following his tutorial

Hope this helps

Matt - brighton
Parasitic battery drain. +1....
AO Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

159 JTDm

I have same issue ... battery flat after leaving car parked up for approx 1 week or so. AA out and advised battery is ok ..something draining it. I never got to the bottom of it ....but a few days ago I heard someone saying in their car ( volvo I think ) they had same flat battery issue ...was due to the interior cabin auto dimming lights .. apparently even though when you enable the alarm and the interior lights auto dim ..the circuit remains open. So disable the auto dimming interior lights to test ...but I am not sure how to do that , I dont see the option in the user manual and seems no where in car to switch it off .. if anyone knows ?
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Take the fuse out.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , battery , draining