2007 alfa 159 1.9 jtdm oil change after DPF REMOVAL - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 22-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
2007 alfa 159 1.9 jtdm oil change after DPF REMOVAL

Had DPF Removed and remap on my 07 alfa 159 1.9 jtdm. I would have used SELENIA again but I've been told after remap and dpf need different oil grade.could anyone please tell me what is best for my engine....MOBIL maybe CaASTROL? I have 93 k on the clock by the way...
thank you
Sponsored Links
AO Member

I don't think you need to change the type of oil you use if you have the dpf/remap.

I have had it done and was not advised to use diferent oil.
AO Silver Member
County: Wrexham
They probably mean you can now use an oil that doesnt need to meet dpf quality anymore, so you may find a cheaper non dpf oil, or a better lubricating oil like ester or tri ester that may not have been suitable for dpf.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 22-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
the reason I asked is cause I've been told after dpf should use a better lubricating oil....was hoping to find someone who changed the brand and grade and what were the results..
but any help is much appreciated and thank you at999 and sussexa
AO Silver Member
County: Cardiff
When your car had a dpf you should of been using a low ash oil which is I think an acea c3 which would of stopped the dpf blocking up quickly if your car was burning oil but I have read that to make the oil c3 it isnt as good.

Now you are dpf free you are free to use acea a3 b4/b3 oils such as Fuchs Titan Ester Synthetic which is probably as good an oil as you need in a road car

You dont need to use a better oil after a dpf removal but you can if you want to
Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
Post DPF removal you can use the good stuff. I used MOBIL Super 3000 5w30 as advised by AHM in my 2.4 post DPF and remap, however, now I use Millers Nanodrive 5w40 which is a racing oil so super low friction but you need more frequent oil changes.

MOBIL Super 3000 is as good as it gets for normal oil change intervals.

Millers Nanodrive Oil Test | Fast Car Magazine
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
As above, technically the oil is a 'lower spec' ( rather an older spec, rather than poorer spec), when DPFs were introduced, they had to lower the ash causing compounds ( to avoid blocking the DPF), the lubricity of these and properties are ever so slightly poorer than the older 'lower spec' oils which didn't have to worry about ash content.
So as mentioned before, you can use far more types of oil, but certainly don't worry about using the specified oil for your car.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
AO Member
County: Victoria

Member car:

ACEA C3 oils are, if anything, a "higher spec" compared with A3/B3. They have to do everything an A3 oil can do as well as extend the DPF's life. As a result, they are formulated with different additives to keep the sulphated ash and phosphorous levels down and are usually more expensive.

Racing oils have requirements that far exceed that of A3/B3 and C3. Racing oils will however usually meet the requirements of A3/B3 but not C3 due to their formulation. In this case, meeting A3/B3 is more of a coincidence than a requirement.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , 2007 , alfa , change , dpf , jtdm , oil , removal