New Keys for the 159/Brera/Spider - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes

County: Cumbria

Member car:

Alfa Brera 3.2

New Keys

I'd be interested in 2 keys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Australian Capital Territory
I'll flag my interest in two.
Cheers,
Martin
AO Member

County: Suffolk
Garage
I'm interested (1 key) but not at 45
AO Member

County: Essex
Add me in for 1
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Put me down for one. Ta
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA & 159 Ti

I am interested for two keys.

Thanks
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

159 1.9 TI

I'd be in for my two keys as well, tried painting my spare earlier this year and the results were poor to say the least! Please add me to the list.

Any idea how we'll pay etc?
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa Spider

One for me please sir
(Post Link) post #34 of 299 Old 23-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Ok, all added.

In terms of payment, I will speak to him but my thoughts are to do it via ebay so that everyone is protected. He can create a listing and you can all just buy direct.

There is nothing in it for me other than a shiny new key which is all I wanted in the first place, and I'll have to buy mine like you will
apt
AO Member

County: Western Australia

Member car:

159 3.2 q4

Hi,

I'd be keen on one, but live in the land of Oz, so how much to send to Perth, Western Australia?

On the RFID comment, I suspect (though have not checked) that the passive RFID transponder chip for the immobiliser and the battery powered circuit board for the remote unlock/boot are entirely separate circuits, and the RFID transponder may well be bonded into the top of the mechanical key. This is based on how BMW make their keys, so not proven but likely.

Regardless, it would be unlikely to make a difference as both metallic chrome plating and solid chrome plated metal make a Faraday shield. If the plastic covered by metallic chrome works, it's very likely that the metal shell will also be fine (I'm an electronics engineer if that gives you any confidence in my ramblings).

Cheers.
APT
(Post Link) post #36 of 299 Old 23-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Interesting point. I assumed the transponder was all part of the circuit and IC's that form the majority of the Key. I had not come across any separate components in the actual Key shaft holder, and know of at least 1 person on this forum that bought a spare key and swapped his circuit and key shaft to it successfully so assumed there is no RFID based technology in that area of the key.

As far as I am visibly able to to determine it is just a moulded piece of plastic to hold the key shaft and the button release mechanism to allow you to remove the key from the fob. Not saying of course a small RFID circuit isn't buried in it somewhere but its less likely. Also, the car starts without the key shaft installed in the key fob so its certainly not looking for it on start-up.

2008 159 TI 2.4 JTDM QTRONIC
My Car Details______http://www.jabawoki.com/2014/07/07/alfa-159-ti/
Project Halo Wiki____https://projects.jabawoki.com/index.php/Project_Halo_UK
Project Halo Page____https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHaloUK

Member car:

New keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
Like most of us on here my car keys are flaking badly and look tatty and worn. This seems to be a common issue to all of us and bad design and/or manufacturing on the part of Fiat/Alfa.

As always I was not content with the obvious option of having to replace my damaged keys for main dealer new ones at a cost of nearly 300 a key, I decided there had to be a better option!

First I tried to paint them, and it didn't work out well, the paint wouldn't ad hear regardless of what type I used or how I primed them, so I turned to a friend of mine who is an expert model maker. I gave him a spare key and said what can you do.

Here is what he has come back with:

He can cast a replacement key end out of white metal and it can then be electroplated in either copper, or chrome and will last up to 5 years! He is doing one for me as a proof of concept, and will send me some photos to use on here for you all, but he has said he can make a batch of these for others for a nominal fee.

All you do to repair your old key is buy this replacement end, remove the pin that holds the end on, prise the old one off and replace it with the new metal one and replace the pin! Job done!

Attachment 246817

In the above picture the Plastic end cap sits over the Key Blade and Holder. The Metal release button is part of the Key Blade and Holder also. The part that is being replaced is the Plastic End Cap only. The rest of the key will stay the same. This means, no recoding and no swapping internals from the transponder etc. What you will be doing is removing the cheap plastic end cap that the original chrome plating could not properly bond to and replace it with a metal one that looks identical but that is durable.

The process of making this replacement is white metal is melted down and moulded in a mould. Then it is prepp'ed and electroplated in copper. This initial stage is because the chrome will not properly bond to the metal directly and could fail much like the original key did. The copper bonds 100% so forms a primer layer. Then its electroplated again in Chrome which bonds 100% to the copper. So it will be visibly no different although perhaps a few microns thicker when done! It will for sure be much more durable than the original plastic end cap.

Estimated cost will be 45 per key, for a newly manufactured durable (metal not plastic) replacement end cap. This is a direct like for like upgrade to the current chipped, peeling plastic end of the key that was originally chrome when you bought the car, and is now probably a mucky off yellow colour like mine!

He needs to do the electroplating in bulk so I am here to gauge interest. If you want one or a set of these, let me know and I will add you to this post:

Current Interest:
- JabawokJayUK - 2 Keys
- NicQ - 2 Keys
- 1878 - 2 Keys
- McTavishh - 1 Key
- alfaholic1001 - 1 Key
- adamcot - 1 Key
- Kayjey - 2 Keys
- Havocwreaker - 1 Key
- ffedele - 2 Keys
- Leagle - 2 Keys
- Gezc - 1 or 2 Keys
- Speenvark - 2 Keys
- Mackem - 2 Keys
- Emdalziel - 2 Keys
- charliealfamike - 1 Key
- Pdw16396 - 1 Key
- faldo22st - 1 Key
- Amir - 1 Key
- elmason - 2 Keys
- cockspur - 1 Keys
- Texonifer 1 Key
Regional Representative
For South Central - AOSC

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Just picked mine up and the main key is a little scuffed, could be tempted by one as long as it all works fine, which by the sounds of it it should.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
I would be interested at the right price, put me down for one.
AO Member

Quote:
Interesting point. I assumed the transponder was all part of the circuit and IC's that form the majority of the Key. I had not come across any separate components in the actual Key shaft holder, and know of at least 1 person on this forum that bought a spare key and swapped his circuit and key shaft to it successfully so assumed there is no RFID based technology in that area of the key.

As far as I am visibly able to to determine it is just a moulded piece of plastic to hold the key shaft and the button release mechanism to allow you to remove the key from the fob. Not saying of course a small RFID circuit isn't buried in it somewhere but its less likely. Also, the car starts without the key shaft installed in the key fob so its certainly not looking for it on start-up.
I've also swapped the guts over from another Brera key. No issues at all, should be fine

Paul
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdw16396 View Post
I've also swapped the guts over from another Brera key. No issues at all, should be fine

Paul
Ditto. The keyblade and holder is not actually needed to be inserted into the main electronic keys body for it to work and start the car anyway....

The blade is just a standard laser cut blade nothing else. And the plastic blade holder is just that....a holder
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

159SW 3.2 Q4

Yes please - I shall get one.
(Post Link) post #43 of 299 Old 24-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
updated initial post with all interested buyers.
AO Member

Just found this thread. Good stuff. Count me in for 1 please
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
I doubt it as the radio transmitter is inside the black part of the key, this is only to replace the silver part that is attached to the metal key itself which is removable from the key.

No idea, but it would be a very small padded envelope so I cant image it would be expensive!

I will get pictures up as soon as I can.
---
Hi jabawokJayUK!
Will your model maker be replicating the button release mechanism also, or will it be a just a block that push fits into the black plastic transmitter end?
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
I doubt it as the radio transmitter is inside the black part of the key, this is only to replace the silver part that is attached to the metal key itself which is removable from the key.

No idea, but it would be a very small padded envelope so I cant image it would be expensive!

I will get pictures up as soon as I can.
---
Hi jabawokJayUK!
Will your model maker be replicating the button release mechanism also, or will it be a just a block that push fits into the black plastic transmitter end?
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Put me down for one please. Any chance that the price could come down if we get more people wanting them?
(Post Link) post #48 of 299 Old 25-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massirati View Post
---
Hi jabawokJayUK!
The button release mechanism will stay the same as its all part of the inner black plastic part rather than the outer chrome/silver plated plastic part that is to be replaced. The button is also metal rather than plastic so doesn't peel so aesthetically should be fine.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
The button release mechanism will stay the same as its all part of the inner black plastic part rather than the outer chrome/silver plated plastic part that is to be replaced. The button is also metal rather than plastic so doesn't peel so aesthetically should be fine.
The button on mine is plastic - the paint has peeled off that as well?
(Post Link) post #50 of 299 Old 25-11-13 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Interesting. the actual button on mine is metal? is anyone else's plastic?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 or brera or spider , keys , keys or key , replacement