Engine improvements after DPF/EGR mod - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cardiff
Engine improvements after DPF/EGR mod

Its been about a week since I have had the full mod on my 1.9 159... the engine is more responsive in all the gears sounds quieter and seems to run cooler ..I have noticed a lot of soot coming out of the exhausts for the first two days and was wondering if this will purge itself over time or is it worth giving it a couple of doses of millers after a dpf/egr delete?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Cars do have a tendency to be smokier after the mod. If it was remapped at the same time I believe you can turn the map down to make this less of an issue.

When I had my diesel Brera done it could get quite bad, but was noticeably better after an oil change and using premium diesel/millers tended to help. I think those using Diesel Rhino (see thread in here somewhere) regularly were seeing less smoke too. I'd have gone down that route had I kept the car.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
It is only natural that the engine is slightly smokier after the DPF (it is a diesel PARTICULATE (i.e. soot) filter after all) is removed.
I certainly noticed a large black cloud behind the car the first time I booted it, but it has not reoccurred since.
I believe removing the DPF allows that much extra flow through the system that it blows away the proverbial cobwebs that have collected over time.
The EGR blanking will actually decrease the black smoke (soot) production, the soot the EGR puts back in the cylinders acts a kind of nucleation site for soot (i.e the soot forms more easily in it's presence).

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 Veloce
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

dpf or egr , engine , improvements , mod