Not again! ABS Message - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 19-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Meath
Not again! ABS Message

Over the last week I am getting this ABS message again, had this before when I bought the car and it was a nackered battery. Ever since the cold weather came it's takes a little bit more to start up and when it does I get warning ABS consult handbook.

Is it the battery going again or is it to cold and struggling to start up? I leave the car a min to warm up even after glow plug light goes off.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Does sound like weak battery. Most cars will suffer with these problems now that the weather is turning colder.

I replaced my battery last year around this time, but opted for a higher AMP & CCA rating type than what is recommended, cured the problem instantly and so far so good!

In the mean time, another way to aid the starting and not bring up any errors is to make sure all auxiliary and electrics toys/devices are switched off before you turn your car off(such as heated seats, stereo, heater/air con fan, lights etc etc) That way when you come to start your car first thing, less load/current drain is placed on the battery, as it will only need to turn the starter motor.

This helped me out for a while, but eventually even doing this will not help and the ABS warning will kick again....sooner rather than later if battery is on its way out.....

Most batteries carry a minimum of 12 months warranty though? Perhaps you can return yours for an exchange?

Il Sonore Di Un Alfa V6 Non Lo Batte Nessuno
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 19-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Meath
Thanks a million for the reply!

The car is under a year warrenty still and going into the garage on Saturdy morning to get tested to see what the issue is.

If its the battery again they will have no choice but to change it.
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire
I had this issue two months ago, abs warning appearing then went to start the car and nothing. Got Britannia rescue out who got the car running again and said to see how it went. Well it's lasted two months but over the last couple of weeks I have been getting the abs warning again and then went to start the car yesterday and it was completely dead, couldn't even use the central locking to get into the car! It had been stood for a week so assume this has killed off the battery again. Hopefully will get it sorted this weekend when I have a bit more free time!
AO Member
County: Nordjylland

Member car:

159 2,4 JTDm

Any healthy battery wil start a sound car...I leave mine for 2 weeks at the airport...Year in, year out...& has never had a problem....1. Time you notice problems...Change the battery if charging voltage is ok...or you WILL get there again...Only more & more often...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

abs , message