any problems with the V6 engine? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
any problems with the V6 engine?

I just sold my tbi 2 weeks ago and bought a new 3.2 ti. The reason why I changed was because I need to keep the car for 5 yeats and my tbi was already on it's 2nd turbo after 18 months. That didn't sit comfortably with me. I now have a 3.2 but immisdiately have heard about horrendous cambelt and variator issues with these engines and the cost to replace would be the value of thw car after a few years. Are these issues that serious? How reliable is the GM derived v6 engine?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Toliman
No cam belts they are fitted with chains.

Hope its had its oil changed very frequently as they are not the best chains in the world and stretch, more so on the 2.2 but could still be a time bomb. have a search on here.
AO Member
County: New South Wales
Timing chain

The 3.2 has a Holden Alloytec engine. Engines manufactured after mid-2007 have an improved chain, so mainly only earlier Alfa 159/Brera models are affected.

This from Holden service manual regarding these timing chains:

There was an issue with the timing chain manufacturing process that caused, in a small number of engines, the chain links to be outside design specifications, which over time, may result in chain elongation.
The degree of chain elongation will depend on the number of affected links and the drive cycle of the engine during its life. Typical expectation is that ECM detectable chain elongation would only occur in early engine life. i.e. 10,000km to 20,000km.
CORRECTION Vehicle Production
Improved timing chains were introduced from the following breakpoint:
Engine Number : Eng Built Date:
H071380576 18/05/07

The oil temperature sensor and the steering rack are two areas to watch. Tyre wear can be high without proper alignment.

The engines are generally reliable with proper maintenance but, as pointed out, it's prudent to have oil changes more frequently than the owner's manual stipulates.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 10-11-13 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: Western Cape
Thanks for that info. I meant timing chains not belts. So I'll have my alignment done and set to zero as specified as well as changing my oil regularly. The car is brand new, manufactured in july 2011 but sold in 2013. South African version. The engine is a 2009 build from the record I have. I am aware of the power steering faults and even on my 2011 build tbi it started to groan and it has been fitted from new with the newer version of the reservoir and the correct green fluid. The steering groan was onky there on cold mornings and after 18 months of ownership.

Ian Lusso

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

engine , problems