Oil change... Help - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Status: -
AO Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
County: Victoria
Posts: 99

Member car:


Originally Posted by RobMsport View Post
Ah -- another nanodrive and zx1 convert !!! but personally I believe it's that good that 8000 miles is often enough . However , one thing I've always done when changing oil is to first drain , wait 20 minutes then pop 2litres of cheap but new oil in the sump (I have some oil left in a 40 gallon drum from when still in business) -- let that drain as well THEN replace the plug and refill with the nice stuff.
I didn't realise that the baffles in a 2.4 sump held so much oil back but hopefully using my habit with the wasted new oil will mitigate that. Normally even with a baffled sump as mine is in my race car , those baffles have drain areas close , and usually touching the bottom of the sump so oil can move from one baffled area to another.

I use to do that too, I was worried that left over oil would be detrimental to the new fill. Fortunately that is not the case. It does not matter if a small proportion of oil is left inside the engine. Up until the point the oil is totally spent, and there is no active additive left, the oil will protect the engine and suspend the contaminants just as well after 5000 miles than it would at 2000 miles or no miles. For arguments sake, even if 10% of the oil is left over in the sump after an oil chance, it means you have removed 90% of the contaminants and replenished 90% of the additives.
Steve S is offline  
Sponsored Links
Status: Powerflex Mk4 - Non Squeak Edition
Club Member
Membro Premio
JabawokJayUK's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cambridgeshire
Posts: 3,377
Images: 31
Glad to hear that my lazy methods are not a huge problem after all

I was advised to drop the oil out of the sump every few changes as the sump plug is magnetic and collects larger deposits / filings etc so its worth pulling out from time to time and cleaning off.

I would rather top side it frequently than have to take the tray off each time that's for sure!
JabawokJayUK is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
RobMsport's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Buckinghamshire
Posts: 1,346
Images: 2
I do agree that the undertray is a very big disincentive to draining via the sump . However , since cleaning up in fuel after wire brushing the screws/bolts , then replacing them covered in coppergrease (twice now in 8,000 miles --- first time just after buying the car) it's been a lot easier than the first time .
Whatever we all do , as long as it's more often than ALFA advise then our engine's will be all the more reliable for it.
RobMsport is offline  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

change , oil

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome