2.2 JTS or 2.4 JTDM Alfa 159 ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-06 Thread Starter
2.2 JTS or 2.4 JTDM Alfa 159 ?

Hello, guys? Being on the verge of ordering a new Alfa 159 I am still undecided between 2.2 JTS and 2.4 JTDM ( only tested the diesel option). I know this may have been debated over and over, but I am looking for your recent experience as Alfa 159 owners. Unfortunately there aren't many posts regarding Alfa 159 owning experience, and that should excuse me reopening this eternal debate diesel vs petrol.
Regarding the diesel option, I fear the extra weight added, which net rumours already say that this might prove the Alfa 159's Achile's heel! Also, being a happy owner of a petrol engine for 6+ years (Alfa 156 2.0 TS) , I might adapt myself or not to diesel engine characteristics. Why not choose the 2.2 JTS then, you could ask? Because here in Europe the diesel mania is growing every year, and I am afraid when time will come in 2-3 years I might have huge difficulties in finding a buyer for my beauty.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Brasov
Re: 2.2 JTS or 2.4 JTDM Alfa 159 ?

Hi there cristi and wellcome to alfaowner.com ! I'm sure some of the lads here will try and point you in the right direction even if the 159 is not(yet) very common.As you said,as big petrolheads as we could be,the resale value of recent Alfas was devastating for 1st owners,and diesel versions tend to depreciate less.

Last edited by marius; 04-06-06 at 11:09.
AO Platinum Member
County: South Lanarkshire

George. Try the diesel - you won't b disappointed.

There's a lot of snobbery on here about the diesels that, frankly, is ill-informed. It's soo easy in the Alfa Mjet's to blow most things away at normal speeds. And they even sound OK (tickover excepted).

As I said. Just give it a try - you won't spend too long getting used to the characteristics.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.4 JTD

Agree with Fraser re my 2.4. Never had a diesel before but I'm delighted with it. Of course, it's a bit clattery at tickover and I have stalled a few times trying to start off in 2nd without revs. The torque is a delight though I don't trust the mpg figures. Mine is showing 34 after 600 miles though that should improve, but I haven't driven it really hard yet!
AO Member
Lick Re: 2.2 JTS or 2.4 JTDM Alfa 159 ?

Ive had my 2.4 JTDM for ~6 weeks now and 3700 miles later I'm really impressed by it. I used to have a 156 2.0TS which i adored, but the 159 blows the pants off it. Its very torquey, very very fast in 3rd and 4th and its roadholding is superb. OK, at tickover you know its a diesel, and with the exception of the annoying turbolag at low rpm, the cars a gem. Ive had a few minor niggles with loose screws etc (the car's, not mine!- see my previous posts) but in the main Im absolutely delighted with it.

Im just waiting to reach 7K so that I can get the 200bhp remapped to 250! (if i dont chicken out of it!)

With regards to the mpg, mine did 36.4 for the first 2K and now is averaging 38.4. I expect that it'll take ~7-8K to get fully run in and the economy to approach published figures.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , alfa , jtdm , jts