I am considering buying a 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Fiat Coupe

I am considering buying a 159

Hi, I'm seriously considerig buying a new car.
At the moment a have a Fiat Coupe 1.8. It is in very good condition and it is a 2000 model. I love it but after 6 year I think it is time to change it
My woman loves BMW and Mercentese cars mad.gif But there is no way to betray Italian cars! I am considering an Alfa 159 1.9 JTD or JTS.
I am considering a Black 159 with beige Alfatex seats and Black/Beige interior.
I am nearer to 1.9 JTD, the only thing that I don't like is that it is the only model of 159 that doesn't have ... 2 exhausts.
What do you think of all that? In my place we don't use to have diesels. How is the sound of the 1.9 JTD?
1.9 JTS has 160 bhp, 190Nm and 1480 kgr. 1.9 JTD has 150bhp, 280 Nm and 1535 kgr.
So, 1.9 JTS has 0-100 in 9.7, 0-1000m in 30.7 and 212 km/h max speed. For 1.9 JTD the number are 9.4, 30.8, 210.
Consuption for mixed circle is 8.7 lt/100 km for JTS and 6 for JTD.

I heard that desiels don't give a sporty drive and you need to make frequent gear changes to maintain speed. Is that correct?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: I am considering buying a 159

Don t rule out the 159 diesels. I had a 156 2.0TS and my current 159 2.4jtdm absolutely blows the pants off that. If you want the twin tails and the performance combined with the relative frugality of a diesel (OK only 37mpg after 555 "enjoyable" miles) go for the 2.4. A number of people have posted that the 1.9 is a bit underpowered. I cant comment- i havent driven one. As a die hard petrol head, I was never a fan of the diesels until I drove this one and bar at startup, you really, really wouldn't know it was a diesel. As for frequent gear changes. I think you'll find that all you'll need is 1st, 2nd, 3rrrrrrrrrrrd, and 5th! ;-)

Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

The 1.9 JTS doesn't have two exhausts either. I have driven a couple of 159s and although you don't really feel the 159 is quite heavy, you will have the impression the 1.9 JTS is strugling a bit with the weight. Not while accelerating from a standstill, but with overtaking. The 1.9 JTD doesn't have that problem, thanks to the torque figures.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-06 Thread Starter

Member car:

Fiat Coupe

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for the JTD

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

159 , buying