I went to see a 2006 Alfa 159 1.9 JTS Turismo last saturday. The car needs a bit of TLC as it's incredibly dirty inside and outside (plus bits of the badges are missing...the "5" from 159 and the JTS writing), but it's otherwise mint bodywork-wise, and it looks very good on the mechanical side as well (it's only done 73k KMs).
I'm gonna have a second look at the car and take a decision from there. Are there any specific weak spots / issues on the specific trim of the 159 to look out for ?
The oil temperature light is constantly flashing and the temperature gauge not rising, but I know it's a common issue on the JTS engine; What about the infamous "timing chain stretch" problem? I can find a lot of information about the issue affecting the 2.2 JTS, a bit about the 3.2 V6, but virtually none on the 1.9...was this engine "magically" spared the issue?
Thanks in advance
I have just purchased a 159 2.2 jts,
Things to look for on a PETROL 159, info from my Indie and this forum :
1) tyre wear, they need the front toe set to zero
2) steering racks are weak on all 159's, listen for noises, very sensitive to correct fluids being used
3) petrol cars with cam chains, chain stretch is not an issue, if you get engine warning lights then it could require changing (it won't ruin the engine) my Indie refused to change mine as it's a fit and forget item.
4) high miles mean all the usual FWD Alfa suspension/bushes issues
5) hill holder faults are usually clutch and brake switches/sensors
6) stone chips on front bumper due to the rather bluff front
7) stone chips along doors and arches due to the "butch stance" of the wheels
8) keys hanging from starter fob tend to scratch dash trim
9) Alfa Romeo emblem badges fade
So all in all pretty good I think you'll find.
I will add more if I've forgotten anything obvious
Running report for: Type 937 Gt 3.2 V6
My Italian car history so far:
MK1 Fiat Uno 60 S, Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV6, Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 ts, Fiat Multipla ELX 1.9jtd, Alfa Romeo Gt Lusso jtd, Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 Super, Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 Ti, Alfa Romeo Gt 3.2 V6