Brera diesel questions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-10-13 Thread Starter
County: Cornwall

Member car:

Kia Ceed

Brera diesel questions

Hi all,

I recently posted saying I was looking at a 159, but on a drive home from work I followed a Brera for a good 5 miles....

Now, I've seen 2 in my budget. The first is only 20 miles away in red, buy with a bit of lacquer off the rear bumper. Its a 57plate with 75000 miles and remap, dpf/egr removal.

The second is a silver one, with the gorgeous 19s on an 06plate with the same miles.

What should be looked out for on the 2.4jtdm?

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

Brera JTDm 210

The 57 plate might (just) have the 210hp engine with the other bells and whistles, which may be more desirable than the remap on the 06 plate. 19s look nice but the tyres cost a *lot* more and the ride suffers. Make sure you know where you are with water-pump and timing belt changes, also the insurance position if you go for the 06 plate.
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

Brera S

Really don't think the ride suffers on 19s and tyres start at less than £100 that many are happy with.

The remap/dpf/egr stuff, if it's been done properly, transform the car and drive of both will probably confirm that. It should also be less prone to issues because of taking those things out of the equation. I'd check it doesn't smoke too much, but look into treatments like diesel rhino (thread in this lounge) as that not only improves performance but people seem to have less smoke too.

Do check the cam belt/water pump has been done. If it hasn't make it your first job. Budget about £500 with a full service at a good Indie.

I'd check for seat rocking. Put the height in the middle height and see if there is much give.

Your looking at a 6 to 7 year old cars that have done a fair few miles, so have to expect niggles in your future. But the Brera is actually pretty solid and most things are sortable and it's capable of surviving a lot more miles.

"Think of it as Angelina Jolie. You’ve heard she’s mad and eats nothing but wallpaper paste. But you would, wouldn’t you?” Jeremy Clarkson on the Brera

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , diesel , questions