Flat battery (on a 159) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimbon1973
  • 1 Post By leraunch
  • 1 Post By BuonGiorno

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 25-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Flat battery (on a 159)

I have a 159 1750TBI

Came to the car on Sunday to take the little one to his swimming lesson and the battery was completely flat. Not even enough power to open the doors. The car had last been driven on the previous Monday night, 6 days ago. The car has been left for longer than 6 days previously with no problems.

Called out the AA who got me started and they said that the battery was fine however, there was a drain on the battery while the car was switched off (key out of ignition).

The battery has been in the car since new, so it will be coming up to 4 years old next month.

Anyone else had anything similar. Any ideas what the drain on the battery might be?

Thoughts appreciated...

Red 159SW 1750 TBI TI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Durham
I am sure i have read some where on this site that the 1750tbi seems to drain its battery quicker than most. 1 drain on the battery will be the alarm, 6 days is not good enough. Longest i have left mine is 3 1/2 weeks, no problem starting after that but did replace my battery after it was nearly 6 years old.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I was having starting problems with my 1.9 diesel 159ti and it was draining fairly quickly even though the battery diagnostics machine said there was nothing wrong with it once started.

Got a Bosch S5 008 12 months ago and no problems since, seems to be the business and with a 5 year guarantee. Actually bought it for about 85 then my local Alfa garage fitted it for 15 and disposed of the old one for me which I though was pretty good!

AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.0JTDm SW

I had an issue recently with mine,
(although it's the 1.9 not the 2.0)

the battery was on it's way out, I got all the usual warnings about airbags/ABS/etc on the dash at start up, but what I didn't realise was that in it's less than perfect state the battery was causing the alarm system to play up, on one occasion I pressed the button on the keyfob to lock the car, doors locked, alarm bleeped, lights flashed everything seemed normal but as I glanced back at the car as I was walking away I noticed the lights had stayed on, I went back and checked and they were definatly set to off (not auto or parking lights or guide you home) the second time I set the alarm the lights flashed and stayed off.

Perhaps if your battery is starting to fail something similar might have happened?

Axe.

County: Lincolnshire
My 159 2.0 JTDM 2011 has suffered several times with the same issue, as recently as today!!! Today's call to Alfa care is call no4 in 18 months. First time diagnosed as duff battery although the existing one had already been replaced, so a new one was installed. Since then a further three flat batteries, today's after not being driven for 5 days. Today's visit revealed NO FAULTS. So its the car design. Nice.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage
It seems a common fault with the drain killing off batteries around 4 years old. I have had it once with the new bigger capacity Bosch replacement (now a year old) when I left it over a week unused though it was OK again after a quick recharge.

Next time I'm away for any length of time I might just flip off the connection.
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

159 (1.9 JTDm)

Hi

If you dont have a 12v multi meter pop out and get one (maplins - about 6) then check for a "parasitic drain" on the battery.

If you dont know how to - there are Very easy guides on you tube on proceedure see here /[/url]http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/sol...awTestingwhich explain better than i can by a post. Basically you connect the 12v meter in series between the battery terminal and -ve lead. trace which circuit by removing fuses if it is showing a drain.

Hope this helpd
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 27-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London
Thanks for the comments. All good to know.
Left the car for 4 days and went to start it and all was fine. The starter motor turned over with no labouring whatsoever. I'll just have to see how it goes over the next couple of weeks or so. It's due a service and MOT next month so if it can last through till then, I can get the mechanic to check it over.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cambridgeshire
Garage
Drop two of these in each of the cells in the battery. They work wonders.

Did this to mine last winter when it was starting to fail on the original battery (6+ years old). Trickle charged it over night once they had been in a couple of days and its been perfect since. I also leave my car standing for most of the week and only occasionally use it these days and then only for short round town runs typically.

I have another tube in the garage to go in soon before the weather sets in.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

159 SW 1750 TB

I have the same issue with my 2012 159SW 1750cc. Every year I come back from summer holiday to a totally dead car. I bought a new battery in 2015 but had the same problem in Sept 2016. Guesses as to what is draining the battery would be welcome. Luckily I can jump start it using my 1978 Fiat Spider which will be for sale soon if anyone's interested.

I have had problems jump starting the car even using two sets of crappy old jump leads. The solution was to buy a new heavy duty set from Halfords. Instant starting.

Last edited by GaryB59; 27-09-16 at 08:42.
AO Member

County: Devon
It could very easily be the alarm/sec system.When leaving mine for more than 7 days I lock the car using the key- which means that the alarm etc is not mobilised. It's worked for me.
GaryB59 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Garage
I've never had a battery last much more than two year on any of my Alfas.

I recommend having one of these for when it happens:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-Po.../dp/B00S64X8BK
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa 159 1.9jtdm

My Alfas 9 years old and had 2 batteries thats pretty much 1 every four years. Seems to be the going rate.
wturnbull likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
I know two cases of battery leak reason. Both were caused by electrical heater device.
It is located under glove box ( LHD ) but not every car is equipped with though.
If not right procedure to trace it is explained hereinabove.
GaryB59 likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
The parasitic load in the 159 is notoriously high. Best options are a strong battery that is regulary upped with a trickle. I use an EGM style Start/Stop battery. These more modern batteries are much more robust and hold charge longer / recharge quicker.

Even then, I still get a flat battery if I have left it stood for a couple of weeks and it hasnt been used daily for a while beforehand.

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabawokJayUK View Post
The parasitic load in the 159 is notoriously high. Best options are a strong battery that is regulary upped with a trickle. I use an EGM style Start/Stop battery. These more modern batteries are much more robust and hold charge longer / recharge quicker.

Even then, I still get a flat battery if I have left it stood for a couple of weeks and it hasnt been used daily for a while beforehand.
Hi Jay

With that being said do you think AGM is still the way forward ? I'm considering one myself as my Bosch S5 which is under 3 years old is no longer holding its charge. what do you charge it up with ?

If you used it more often do you think you would still need to charge it as often?

What is the biggest size that will fit ?

Anybody else using AGM ? What do you think ?

Cheers
AO Silver Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Garage
As I tend to use the SW infrequently I have started to use the AA recommended Solar Charger - it provides just enough to counter the parasitic drain.
Plugs in via the OBD port
Worked so far over the last few months.
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

While you at it with the multimeter, check that your regulator on the alternator is charging your battery correctly, could be it is not charging and when you get back it is drained completely.
AO Silver Member

County: St. Petersburg
Alternator could be a reason in two way.
No charge. It means no other electricity source apart of battery. Once has been started petrol car stops rather fast with nice parade of different symbols ( ABS, VDC, HillHolder, etc. ) failure on a dash. Such car still could be jump started but it stops as soon as external electricity source removed.
Another one is really regulator ( diode assembly ) shortage. This could be easily traced by multi meter.
It could be anything in fact. No needs to guess.
I would also check battery condition. If TBI still use exfactory battery it is possible to open it and check plates.

Last edited by BuonGiorno; 28-09-16 at 08:04.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixwheeler View Post
Hi Jay

With that being said do you think AGM is still the way forward ? I'm considering one myself as my Bosch S5 which is under 3 years old is no longer holding its charge. what do you charge it up with ?

If you used it more often do you think you would still need to charge it as often?

What is the biggest size that will fit ?

Anybody else using AGM ? What do you think ?

Cheers

Yes, absolutely. It starts faster, lasts longer and if used daily never gave me an issue.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Yes, absolutely. It starts faster, lasts longer and if used daily never gave me an issue.

This is what I use:

EK800 Exide Start Stop AGM Battery Commerical Micro-Hybrid 3 Year Warranty.

Same size as OE one and very good.

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4jtdm

Quote:
This is what I use:

EK800 Exide Start Stop AGM Battery Commerical Micro-Hybrid 3 Year Warranty.

Same size as OE one and very good.
I have just placed an order for the same one this morning

Thanks for your help it seems its the biggest you can fit within the battery tray will see how it goes

I got it from Tayna all in and delivered for 123

County: Glasgow

Member car:

Alfa 159 Lusso

Smile

I have the same issue if I leave my 159 2.0 diesel for a week or more, battery is always flat, though starts instantly with jump leads
Will try locking car with key and forget about the alarm system and see if that stops the current drain

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , battery , flat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page