Hunting at low revs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Lusso

Hunting at low revs

Hi again guys

Along side the rattle from the engine I reported on not too long ago (which still hasn't been diagnosed yet and is getting worse......a trip to Alfa Workshop is imminent), the engine is now got a very unsteady idle, which is also translating into a pretty jerky low speed acceleration in first gear....

When the engine is warm and the car isn't moving, the idle sits at around 500-750rpm, but jumps very quickly up and down by about 250rpm, making it sound like I am constantly pumping the accelerator pedal....this will go on and get worse until it gives on big splutter then settles down again for about 15 secs.....the the whole cycle starts all over again. I was sitting in traffic yesterday and frankly it was quite embarrassing.

This has been a sporadic thing and put it down to "being an Alfa" for a while as it was not always there. But now, its permanent and won't go away, even after giving it a boot full or having a long cobweb removing run......

Anyone got any ideas? I really hope this one isn't a biggy either as the costs on this car are mounting rapidly and continue to do so.......I LOVE this car, but it might have to be shopped for something thats not costing me 4-500 every couple of months.......
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kilkenny
Lots of threads on it and i'm having the same problem. Changing the egr helped and cleaning out the intake manifold and throttle body helped even more (you can do both of these yourself - theres a great guide in the jtdm section). It seems that a remap with egr blanking and dpf delete permanently sorts it for most so thats my next port of call.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Also give the MAP a quick clean!
County: Cornwall
hi johnnyboy the rattle will be your swirll flaps and the hunting is the egr , i fitted a new manifold to mine which stopped the rattle and then blanked the egr witch stopped the hunting, now even more power and more mpg, hope this helps you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

engine , hunting , idle or surging , low , revs