Brera 2.4 diesel - warning lights, losing coolant and rattles! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 10-09-13 Thread Starter
County: West Yorkshire
Hmmm Brera 2.4 diesel - warning lights, losing coolant and rattles!

Hi there,

I have just bought my first alfa - a 57 brera sv 2.4 diesel 2 weeks ago, despite everyone warning me that they are temperamental... Love the look of it and being in it, but....

Unfortunately I am already encountering a number of problems, and wondered if people could advise or if others had had similar issues.

The warning lights stating 'vehicle protection system is unavailable' is coming on intermittently although this does not seem to have any negative effect on the vehicle as it still starts/runs okay with the message. When it comes on, the hill holder system warning light also comes on and the hill holder does not work. There does not seem to be a pattern of when it comes on/off, it just decided to work again half way on the way home today.

The coolant is running low very quickly - I topped up two days ago and it is under the min already - car not overheating but clearly a leak somewhere.

Various knocking/rattles with the car - garage has looked at this one - feels it could be the upper bush and arm on the passenger side - just awaiting part to come to be fitted to see if that sorts it... However, I have noticed the power steering oil is red not green. Forgive me - I'm new to this site and I know there are some threads about this - but can anyone confirm definitely that the power steering oil should be tutela gi/r (green) - this is what i told my garage but they came back to me and said the alfa supplier said it should be red... am confused. It does state tutela gi/r under the bonnet but it's definitely red in the car at the mo...

Apols for long message - any advice would be gratefully received. I want to be able to enjoy my brera!! But it's being a bit of a mare so far...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
As your garage seems to know, the n/s/f/ upper wishbone is often the cause of knocking noises on 159s, I have changed this on mine a year or so ago.

I can't remember the reason for the fault message on the dashboard, but every few months I get them and they clear themselves almost immediately, hopefully somebody will come along soon who knows the reason.

But your main concern should be the rapid loss of coolant. My coolant was changed with the cam belt last year and I have yet to top it up. Has the garage looked into this problem at all as the worst case scenario is a blown head gasket......but maybe a radiator problem or similar.

Did you buy this from a garage? If so, I would give it back to them to get the problems fixed pronto.
AO Member
County: Kilkenny
I seem to recall an issue with a bleed screw being common enough - a search of the forum may help you out
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Originally Posted by alphapapa View Post
I seem to recall an issue with a bleed screw being common enough - a search of the forum may help you out
Yeah, there is a black plastic bleed screw to the left of the coolant rail at the front of the engine block. I'm led to believe its quite catastrophic if it fails though!

I've had a bit of a problem with the coolant system recently - caused by a slight leak at the bottom of the radiator. Fixed by half a bottle of Radweld (about 4-8, excellent stuff). Might be worth a try, at least in the short term.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 16-09-13 Thread Starter
Hi, thank you all for your answers. That's helpful to know the warning lights are just one of those things. I will be getting the garage to investigate the coolant issue when they fit the bushes.

I did but the car from a garage but its 200 miles away - so I'll speak to them about it when I have a better idea of what's wrong. Too far to take it back...

Hopefully it'll all get sorted soon!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , brera or 159 , coolant , diesel , knock or rattle , lights , losing , rattles , tutela , warning , warning or unavailable