Egr valve/ecu update - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 30-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Egr valve/ecu update

My 159 2.4 210bhp LUSSO has continued to lose power suddenly on several occasions (no or very little turbo boost and very sluggish). I finally took it to my local Alfa dealer who are saying that despite the ECU fault codes being related to the MAF (newly fitted in March) thet suspect its the EGR at fault. They are quoting 190 fitted for a new one. I realise you can clean them and get cheaper ones on flea bay but the dealer price also included an 'ECU UPDATE'. Can anyone suggest what it is? Or am I wasting my cash and best off at my local independant garage now I have what I hope is a correct diagnosis? My local garage has also suggested giving the engine a chemical type flush out. Apparentley it removes all the soot and carbon from the engine. Has anyone had it done??

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
I got a new one EGR for 80, best to restrict the valve when it's fitted. Not heard about an ECU flash for the EGR before though. 180 fitted sounds like a reconditioned one though, avoid it ( many stories on here about them failing rapidly).
As for engine flush: (will an engine flush help. .......... ?)

[color=gray]Sent from Free App[/color]
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 31-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Thanks for the reply. I think the valves a new item (i hope) as they said it may have to come from Italy. I haggled a bit on price otherwise I think it would of been 200+ . I'm tempted to get one elsewhere but they do have the best kit to test the car. The update might be a newer map or different regen/valve operation but Im guessing. Another option is to delete the valve and dpf (Alfatune nearest to me) but Autolusso said it might stress the clutch/flywheel/driveshafts??

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

egr , update , valve or ecu