interior lights, - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
interior lights,

Hi guys, I recently purchased a 159 JTD Ti, the previous owner replaced the interior light bulbs with LEDs, so what happens when you lock the car all the interior lights turn off but the front ones have just a trickle of light showing, is maybe because there is always a current going through the LED so it still emits some light? has anyone ever come across the same thing, my car has a sunroof so the back lights are on the top of the rear doors, will it drain the battery? even though I know LEDs use very minimal power. Hope you guys can help.

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1265
County: Waikato

Member car:

Gtv V6

Yep - common problem with electronically-dimmed lights, where the small residual current makes an LED glow. The reduced resistance of a bulb would pull the transistor output down to zero, but the LED can't, so it floats slightly above zero volts. It won't really drain your battery.

I'd just change them back to bulbs, personally. The light you get is much 'warmer' and seems like real light. Even though the LEDs are a bright pure blue-white, they're not giving you all the colours that normally make up 'white' light.

That's the problem with LEDs and fluorescents - it's white light, but not as we know it. Effective as a temporary reading light and very effective for instrument lighting etc. but for general room lighting, not really very nice. Some LEDs and the energy-saving fluorescent bulbs you get for your home put out a yellowish 'warm white' but again, it still doesn't have all the colours that you get out of a halogen bulb.

'00 GTV V6, '08 FIAT 500, shell and parts for a '71 FIAT 850 Coupe
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 30-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thanks Alex.

Club Member
Membro Premio
County: Cambridgeshire
Alternatively, if you want to stick with LEDs, just get Can bus friendly versions. These have load resistors built in that absorb the residual load mentioned by Alex.

A complete guide on what bulbs you need etc is on my blog: Jabablog Alfa 159 TI Full LED Conversion – Interior Guide

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

interior , lights