o/s/f wheel bearing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 27-08-13 Thread Starter
County: Kent
o/s/f wheel bearing

Hi guys,

as confirmed by my suspicion caused by the loud moaning noise (for once not the other half) the front right wheel bearing has gone on my 159!
Just wondering if anyone else ha had this trouble and as I have been made aware the only
way to fix it is to replace the entire wheel hub.
any good suppliers of this at oem or upgraded specification and quality ?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Toliman
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
I had the R/O/S bearing go on my 2008 Brera at 37K miles. I bought the part for around £110 and fitted it myself. A fairly easy job made difficult by corroded bolts and a brake disc that had corroded itself to the hub and needed a hub puller to remove it. Reassembly was quick and easy, total time about 1.25 hours. I used a Halfords Professional 170 Piece Socket Set, it had all the tools I needed except a torque wrench.

I think the fronts will be about the same degree of difficulty but with the added complication of the front wheel drive shaft to contend with.
County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 SW

I did this job on Saturday on my 159. The most difficult parts were:

Removing the hub nut, which is very tight, involved me standing and bouncing on a long 1/2" drive breaker bar with a bit of an extension on the end for more torque.

Getting the old hub/bearing assembly off, its a tight fit and gets corroded to make things more difficult, a chisel and a big hammer did the job, took a good 15mins+ of bashing though.

As far as tools go, you will need a 36mm socket, I read in a lot of places that it needed to be thin walled and the cheapest I could find was £15. However I'm not so sure about that now so you could probably get a normal one for about £8.

You also need an E14 (star shape) socket for the 4 securing hub bolts, and as mentioned previously a puller is useful, in my case all it did was push the driveshaft out of the hub.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 31-08-13 Thread Starter
County: Kent
Cheers for the input guys !! amazed at the response i get on here its wicked
As far as it goes im getting the alfa back from the body shop wednesday, after a undertaking Mercedes cl500 amg was finished with me...*****
Managed to pick up a bearing kit for 90 or so quid on eurocar parts as it was nice and local to me and should get my family mechanic to fit it, cant be fussed to get the hands dirty.. also got a k and n air filter going on and as soon as i can get some input on egr valve blocking and dfp filter removal along side a remap the alfa will put and even bigger smile on my face.
just this weekend ill be of to birmingham so ill have to tell the police officer i was just trying to bed the wheel bearing in...haha

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

bearing , o or s or f , wheel