Brera 2.4 idling - fixed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 18-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Brera 2.4 idling - fixed!

After getting my brera the idling was a bit lumpy, it seemed to drop and then something kicked in to bring it up again with a bit of a judder thrown in too! This was happening when it was cold and up to temp.

It had an EGR fault when i first plugged the laptop in, so I cleaned that (packed with soot!)
the fault cleared but idling was still off.

I gave the MAF a blast with electrical cleaner and noticed the main air pipe at the front wasn't actually clipped, it was just pushed on with the clip hanging there. It was a pain to get the clip pliers in to re-fasten, so i'm wondering if someone couldn't be arsed and just stuck it on. Anyway it didn't make much difference, but better it's on now i guess.

Finally I had a look at the MAP sensor. It was completely packed with soot again, so gave it a clean with carb cleaner, did an ECU reset and it's idling perfectly!

So far with my coolant explosion and idling fixed it's cost me a grand total of 5.20!

Quick question though. In my old 156 2.4, the inlet manifold and MAP sensor were covered in a black sludge, whereas this one is just dry soot. Why is this? I take it the sludge is a result of oil but where does it come from and why is there none in mine? (I don't want it, was interested to know why there is a difference!)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Oil is from the breather pipe think it gets put in riund the turbo ( someone please correct if wrong), a few people have added oil catch cans or fed the pipe out near the wheel arch (which I understand may be in a legal area)

Edit: See this thread:

This video explains what is happening:

[color=gray]Sent from Free App[/color]

Last edited by giblets46; 18-08-13 at 18:41.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-08-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Thanks for that Giblets! makes a lot of sense.

I was planning to get the EGR/DPF/Remap in the next month or so, then get the inlet manifold replaced next year so it will be nice and clean and stay nice and clean!

The separator must be doing something as there is a massive difference between the gunk that was on the 156 map sensor and the brera one.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

brera , fixed , idling