Hello Everyone ! New to Alfas with a couple of questions! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-13 Thread Starter
County: Cheshire

Member car:

Hello Everyone ! New to Alfas with a couple of questions!

Hi everyone - Im Gav and I live in Cheshire. Never been brave enough to buy an Alfa before until now, but as a huge Ducati fan and experience of these, I figured .... don't believe the unreliability hype... so i've taken the plunge and just acquired a beautiful 2008 Alfa 159 2.4 JDTM Lusso with 50000 miles on the clock.... it has a full Alfa history, and just had cam belt and water pump changed two weeks ago by an Alfa dealer. Spec is Red with tan leather, Xenon lights and washers, Alfa Sat Nav and Phone system and all the usual lusso bits and pieces. I gets delivered next week and I absolutely cant wait for it to arrive.

I've got a couple of questions - I wondered if anyone could help with ? The car has a built in Alfa phone kit as part of the Nav system (cant believe this is 4000 grand as a new option - I baulked at paying 1800 to Audi for their system in a TT!!), but its not blue tooth - its the type where you slot the sim card in to the dash....as I have an iPhone with a micro sim - this isn't a lot of use and far from convenient anyway! I have a bit of a pet hate of Parrot kits and non original kit on show in a cabin and when I asked at Mangoletsi whether its possible to retrofit a blue and me bluetooth system in the car, they said Alfa don't make a part for this. So aside from fitting a Parrot kit, which I really don't want to do, does anyone know of any company which makes a kit to add blue tooth functionality to the system ?

Second question is on tuning.... I've been lurking as a guest member for a while and have read with interest all the options for tuning - most which appear to relate to coring or removing the DPF, an engine re-map and bypassing / blanking off the EGR.

I called in at Mangoletsi to enquire about their performance tuning services and they said that all of theirs are induction side modifications and electronics and do not involve either bypassing or removing the DPF or the EGR or remapping. They said that they advise against this as it will fail an MOT if the DPF is removed as the MOT tester will know that the vehicle should have one, and will test the emissions according to the assumption that one is fitted. He said they also advise against third party remaps, as if the car comes in for a service, and there is a software update from Alfa for the ECU, if this is installed, it will wipe the map that has been loaded by the third party tuner.

So has any got any views - which tuning option is better.... the induction side and electronics or the exhaust side and a remap ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Congrats on the new one motor! Love red and tan, Get some photos on here!

As far as I'm aware diesels aren't subject to an emission test, only a smoke test.

I had my parrot installed in the ash tray so it's invisible when the ashtray is closed. You could also look at installing an aftermarket doubleDIN headunit.

Don't rule out tuning boxes, although a remap is better it is normally 3-4x the price.

Welcome to AO
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Any Tuner ( and there is one very close to you at St Helens, Alfa Tune) will usually do a quick reset if the worst case scenario happens. Speak to Gus?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

alfas , couple , questions